Bugs in my pool. Please help D=

Aug 3, 2016
Orlando
My pool, the 18 ft x 48 in Summer Waves AG pool has been sitting in my backyard with murky light and dark green water for about 2 weeks or so. I was finally able to get my sand filter, the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2450 GPH System Flow Rate, up and running today. I haven't been able to get a testing kit but I purchased pool shock and chlorine tablets from walmart and put that into the water. After waiting 8 hours (as the instructions said) the water was still pale green and cloudy so I added another bottle of shock. My pool is now blue but cloudy and between my sand filter and I we have removed most of the tad poles, leaves and other debris. However, there are some very lively bugs swimming around my pool. I tried to scoop them out but they are fast and when I do catch them they have a habit of jumping off the skimmer and right back into the pool. There are two main kinds. 1 has two little wing/leg looking things sticking out behind it and the other kind of looks like a beetle. Both swim to quickly to be caught in the intake for my filter. Is there anything I can do to kill these unwanted pool guests?

Hi :)

The problem isn't really the bugs. It's most likely algae in your pool. The answer to that is to go through the SLAM process. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You might want to start here. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The link to reccomended test kits was already provided. Without a good test kit, it is hard for us to guide you as knowing your chemical levels accurately is imperative to what we teach for pool care.

The bugs you describe are air breathing and won't die from treating the water. They were attracted by the food (algae etc.) in the pool. Some of the water beetles are vegetarian, but some are carnivorous and are capable of delivering a sting similar to a bee sting. They are capable of flight which is how they get in the pool in the first place. I chase mine down with a net and squash them outside the pool so they don't return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on getting the water clean and safe for people. I have a thru the wall skimmer in my pool. We get a lot of those "flying ants" in ours, so before we get in, we run the pump/filter for like 5-10 minutes and they all get sucked into the filter. Most if them get stuck in the screen right before the impellor. I clean it out about once a week.
Good luck and do yourself a favor and get a good test kit. Learn how to keep your pool safe and clean. It's very rewarding to do it yourself.

Love this forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute there - how's this work now?!?
I just put an airtight container under the corner of a flat net and use a hair band to keep it in place I just let it float around and most of the bugs in my pool and a whole lot of other crud ends up on it without me having to do anything. When I get in the pool first thing everyday I clear it and send it back to floating again

It's a very simple little airtight and waterproof container that I got in the fishing department at my local Walmart. Honestly just about anything that won't fill up with water and sink will do the trick. I try to keep mine up under the corner so that it floats a bit of an angle because it seems to gather up more creatures that way. Apparently they think it's some kind of Island! :)

This is mine...
View attachment 53173

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.