New champion Century motor keeps throwing thermal overload switch

brackishpoolboy

May 16, 2009
I replaced an old champion motor today that had been running well for the 11 summers I've owned the house, with a couple of seal replacements along the way, because it stopped starting unless I gave it a bit of a "jump start" by turning the shaft by hand (brushes?)

Rather than tear into it, in light of its age, I bought a champion/century replacement with the same SF and got it installed today.

The old motor was clearly wired for 220 by the circuit diagram on the outside, but when I measured the voltage across the two wires, not the ground, I got 118 (I got 120 on my indoor sockets). I assumed this meant I had 110 at the motor, so I rotated the dial to that position.

Now when I start it, it trips after about 10 seconds. and it does get hot!

DId I measure the voltage correctly? The breaker for the circuit also supplies the accessory pump and is a double 20 amp breaker.

When I replaced the accessory pump in the spring, I wired it just as the old one had been, I think for 110, and it has done fine. COuld two motors on the same circuit/breaker be receiving diff voltages? Once this problem is resolved, should I recheck (properly) the voltage to the other motor?

I'm not helpless, but I'm in a bit over my head. Lil help?

What breaker supplies this pump? Is it a single pole or double pole? If the original (which by the way needed a new capacitor) was truly wired for 240 then you should have measured that across both feeder wires, not 120. Did you replace the motor with the same horsepower as the original? If it is a lower HP motor the impeller may be causing it to work too hard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.