Is Cal Hypo with bleach

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Are all these chemicals compatible in AG Pol.

For 20 years no problems using the pucks in my floating dispenser. Then couple years with stablizer going to high. Did not make since because my neighbor still had no problem with the pucks. But I was getting more shade from a tree.

Anyway I was forced to switch. So went to adding bleach everyother day and just one puck in the dispenser once a week. Plan seems to be working good the past 2 years.

But hard to buy so much bleach when I shock the pool. So my question is would it be ok to use the 1 lb bags super shock just when I shock. They are 68% Calcium Hypochlorite

Thanks for all the help here

Are all these chemicals compatible in AG Pol.

For 20 years no problems using the pucks in my floating dispenser. Then couple years with stablizer going to high. Did not make since because my neighbor still had no problem with the pucks. But I was getting more shade from a tree.

Anyway I was forced to switch. So went to adding bleach everyother day and just one puck in the dispenser once a week. Plan seems to be working good the past 2 years.

But hard to buy so much bleach when I shock the pool. So my question is would it be ok to use the 1 lb bags super shock just when I shock. They are 68% Calcium Hypochlorite

Thanks for all the help here

acceptable use of solid form of chlorine depends on how much water you replace from time to time (open/close, other reasons). Those events would bring CYA down so you could use solid chlorine longer. OTOH I found this mixed approach too complicated to bother. I see couple other options for you:

- find local pool store and buy their 12.5% liquid chlorine. My local store 'rents' out bottles along with 4 bottle case so I bring empty ones back and they sell me filled ones charging only for LC. I paid for bottles/case once at the beginning. The cases are heavy as each contains four 1 gal chlorine jugs but I don't have to recycle bleach bottles on regular basis.

- get yourself SWG which will produce chlorine for you. Very convenient but high upfront cost and additional piece of equipment to maintain.

The decision depends a lot on your situation.

One more thing: Cal Hypo does not mix with pucks in the same container and leads to explosion. It will bring your CH up and depending on your water it could be OK or not- the same problem as with CYA/pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.