Pump cycle on and off

Jun 10, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

my pump started to cycle on and off 2 days ago. Only happened during the very hot period of the day.
I openned the shed door, turned off the breaker for 15-20 minutes and it seemed tombe ok after that.
But, this morning it's not that warm and it started to do it again.
I'm pretty sure it's over heating, but what should I check to see what can cause this?
The pump is only on it's 3rd season (Hayward Super Pump II, 2 speed, 1hp).

thanks.

Usually, that is due to bad bearings but it can also be due to something stuck in the impeller. Has the pump been leaking or does make any loud noises?

Check the impeller for any blockage first.

Usually, that is due to bad bearings but it can also be due to something stuck in the impeller. Has the pump been leaking or does make any loud noises?

Check the impeller for any blockage first.

Pump is running fine when running, no unusual noise. Impeller seems fine.
I did improve ventilation around the pump to see if it will go away, but odd that I did not see this in the previous season.
Anything else I could look at?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, it did not stop since I improved ventilation. But, today is not as hot as the last 3 days either.

Hi,

my pump started to cycle on and off 2 days ago. Only happened during the very hot period of the day.
I openned the shed door, turned off the breaker for 15-20 minutes and it seemed tombe ok after that.
But, this morning it's not that warm and it started to do it again.
I'm pretty sure it's over heating, but what should I check to see what can cause this?
The pump is only on it's 3rd season (Hayward Super Pump II, 2 speed, 1hp).

thanks.

can you post a pic of your pump motor shield/sticker?
Does it actually get hot?
Does it do this on both speeds?

can you post a pic of your pump motor shield/sticker?
Does it actually get hot?
Does it do this on both speeds?
yes, it did get hot.
it does not seem to be as prone at low speed, but I tipically run low speed at night. I did run low speed after 15 minute cooling/breaker off and seems better but not sure if it was the cooling time or speed setting.

The cooling is now now much better(drilled holes in shed letting the hot air from pup going out of the shed), but did not have to do that in the previous years. As some said, maybe it was marginal and better ventilation will help.
we are supposed to get hot weather for a few days again this week, so I will see if it happens again.

for pictures, it will have to wait for tomorrow, it's too dark now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.