SURVEY - Liquid FC Dosing

Great thread! Stenner is the clear winner, no doubt. Pretty soon, I think I will be adding to this survey as a future Stenner owner. This thread has convinced me to make the investment!

The IntelliChem and Chemtrol systems would be an absolute joy to own and use. However, that's a potential $1500 to $2000 investment (IntelliChem plus 2 Stenners). One could buy a lot of chlorine and acid for that price!

Thanks for the link and parts breakdown, camueller.

JayG, I love the 55-gallon underground barrel for the chlorine. Talk about a stockpile! However, if you sell the house, now you need to disclose that there are underground storage tanks on the property! The realtor's nightmare! Lol!

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) drop
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)2.5
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)23 minutes(during winter, 82 summer)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) all at once
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) night
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) slightly over
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Stenner 85MHP5
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop-based
3. What is your current pump run time? 6 hours per day
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? 6 hours per day (I have them linked together)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? Spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? No, I keep mine at the recommended level of 5 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA in case a problem occurs.
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? N/A for me. But it has never dropped below 5ppm since install.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) drop-based
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 4 hours (four x 1 hour time periods)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 1 hour (four x 15 minute periods, using solar cover all the time)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) spread out through the day
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) No. Use FC > 7.5% of CYA.
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? N/A

The Stenner pump works well. I have an adjustable Stenner but run in wide open. If you set the dial to over 10, it does not "click". The click is when it stops. Just go all the way up (over 10) and it will stop clicking.

I'll add my info

How you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner 10gpd single speed with a Woods 50015 timer. 15 gallon tank kept half full. 10% bleach

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) test with TF-100. Usually test prior to injection. Dial it in but not too good at it yet.

3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) pool pump is 2hp-2spd. I run it on LS about 15 hrs a day 8am-11pm. No timer. Sometimes 24hrs if I forget to turn it off at night.

4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) Stenner is on a timer. 15-30 mins depending on pool usage. 1minute = 0.89 oz bleach. 16oz of 10% = 1ppm FC

5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
Inject all at once @ 9pm

6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
Inject all at once @ 9pm

7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)
Above 7.5% of CYA. The daily FC loss varies too much due to Sun, cover, bather load therefore I don't trust keeping FC at minimum levels.

8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?
N/A.

Kind of curious why this survey is posted under swg. I never add any chlorine. Ever. My swg does it all.

The subtitle of the the SWG forum is "Pool Chemical Automation, chemical dosing systems, liquid chlorine dosing, CO2 systems, SWCGs and water chemistry for an SWG pool" which includes Stenner pumps and the like. We don't have a separate space just for Stenner pumps.

Incidentally, I have been curious as to why on new builds I always see this forum recommend SWCGs and very rarely Stenner pumps. SWCGs seem to increase the pH and require more frequent acid additions and do not work when the water gets colder, but not cold enough to close. I would think that the Stenner pump has fewer downsides. The only thing you need to do is fill the tank with liquid chlorine. I am not sure about everyone else, but my 15 gallon tank has lasted a full month between fills.

At the same time, I can see that the Stenner is more of a rigged up system and not designed specifically for pools and so might not look as "professional" as a SWCG. I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on this.

The subtitle of the the SWG forum is "Pool Chemical Automation, chemical dosing systems, liquid chlorine dosing, CO2 systems, SWCGs and water chemistry for an SWG pool" which includes Stenner pumps and the like. We don't have a separate space just for Stenner pumps.

Incidentally, I have been curious as to why on new builds I always see this forum recommend SWCGs and very rarely Stenner pumps. SWCGs seem to increase the pH and require more frequent acid additions and do not work when the water gets colder, but not cold enough to close. I would think that the Stenner pump has fewer downsides. The only thing you need to do is fill the tank with liquid chlorine. I am not sure about everyone else, but my 15 gallon tank has lasted a full month between fills.

At the same time, I can see that the Stenner is more of a rigged up system and not designed specifically for pools and so might not look as "professional" as a SWCG. I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on this.

pH rise is not a given. There are plenty of SWG owners that have never had to add any acid to their pools...for several seasons! It all depends on the input water to your pool, the pool surface and what forms of aeration are present. SWG's are, chemically speaking, pH neutral. Any pH rise they contribute to is simply from aeration inside the cell and that can be minimized by using a cell that's rated at least 2X your pool volume and keeping the FC loss rate low with higher CYA levels. I only run my SWG for what amounts to 2.4 hours/day and so the cell itself does not contribute to aeration as much as my waterfall, spa spillway and generally high-hardness fill water does.

When properly cared for, an SWG can that last 5-7 years without any trouble. That means the only chemical I need to lug from the trunk of my car to the backyard pool equipment pad is a container of acid. My pH stability has me adding acid about every 7-10 days and so, for the most part, I never have to bother adding anything to my pool. The economics of SWGs makes it such that they are equivalent in cost to any method of liquid chlorine dosing but only slightly more expensive than calcium hypochlorite dosing (cal-hypo is typically the most cost effective chlorination method IF calcium hardness is not an issue and it's a lot easier to transport).

Stenners are a fine option too, but many PBs don't install them; they're more of a DIY piece of equipment. Since SWGs are typically paired with automation systems, the upfront costs are often part of an overall pool build and so their incremental cost is in the noise when you're building a $50k pool. Switching from solid chlorine to liquid chlorine via a Stenner pump is far cheaper than switching to an SWG but many people come to appreciate not having to lug gallons of bleach every 2-3 weeks. Another potential downside to Stenner pumps, especially in my area, is that bleach is far less stable at high temperatures than when sitting in your laundry room. Setting up a 15 gallon tank of bleach when my summer air temps can easily hit 115F means wasting a lot of potential chlorine. My SWG doesn't care much how hot it is.

As for cold weather, yes SWGs do shutoff below 55F. BUT, last winter (which is 4 months for me) I used exactly one (1) gallon of bleach in my pool and I adjusted pH once. So, in open winter pools, chemical concerns are minor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yours is added, Dave. Thanks again to everyone who has responded! This has become a pretty good collection of results :)

My sense is that TFP is pretty neutral about liquid vs. SWG chlorine delivery, but there are certainly members with SWGs who are strongly in the 'for' camp, especially if they used other methods prior. I try to mention the option of liquid chlorine injection when the topic comes up. If there were no SWGs (and my wife didn't love salt water), I'd definitely have a Stenner with a buried tank :)

My apologies. I saw 'Automation' under 'Everything else', but failed to check the same under this thread. I'll go cower in the corner now.

I can mirror JoyfulNoise in that as far as acid additions go, I bought 1 gallon this spring in preparation for the season. Our pool is now ready to close for the season and I still have a quart left. No other chemical adjustments this year. Also, I too would go for the Stenner if SWGs didn't exist.

I'm learning that our pool system is a bit unusual in that we also have an autocover. My biggest problem is excess FC buildup even running the SWG at only 10%. When I'm not paying close enough attention, I've accidentally let it climb past 12 before resorting to shutting it off- talk about a need for automation!

On the up side, here in Minnesota, our swimming season is only 4 months long. We don't care much about the FC level when the water temp is below 60 degrees. At that point, its only a month away from either melting from or freezing into a skating rink. Nobody is going swimming. (no crud in the pool- no algae- autocover wins again)

Thanks for the input JoyfulNoise and needsajet! I was strongly considering buying a SWCG earlier this year. Pouring a gallon of bleach each night wasn't a big deal until I wasn't around for vacations or work emergencies. Relying on other people, especially when they don't understand the chemistry, is not the most reliable method. SWCG seemed the obvious choice but the cost, and the side effects (which now appear to have been overblown in my mind) led me to the Stenner pump. I think my pool was conveniently setup to make use of the Stenner pump as the pool pad is only a few feet away from the basement, allowing me to store the chlorine tank and pump in a temperature controlled environment. Also, in a bout of overkill, I ran conduit underground to house the chlorine line until it connects to the check valve. I have had the pool open for over 3 months. After opening, I had only added chlorine and nothing else to the pool until this week when it finally needed a little acid to correct a small pH increase. I can't say that I regret my decision, but I can clearly see why a SWCG would be recommended on a new build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.