New Pool in Arizona

Yabruf

May 29, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
Tired of the AZ heat and no water! Growing up in Florida it was nice to cool off at the beaches, rivers and lakes. But living in the desert now for almost two decades I figure its time to add some water into the mix!

Starting this post to keep track of the weekly pool progress. Here are the picture's so far:

Computer modeling:

Great design and it sure feels great once they finally get started.

Just a note on your equipment. I don't have any personal experience, but i have read many times that the ozone / frog systems are very much frowned upon. Might recommended that you do some research on those before you turn them on.

Our HOA was much more restrictive on setbacks than the Town of Marana, and both were easy to get variances from when our layout and dig ended up a little over the lines.

I don't know your intended use for the pool, if you have kids, or how deep your deep-end is, but I would consider adding some additional bench areas, especially in the deeper end.

-- Edit --
I see that your pool is 8' in the deepest end, so I would definitely consider tucking in some more benches to make the deep end more usable. I know pool builders like to charge an arm&leg for benches, but it shouldn't add much to the actual costs except for the added shotcrete

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5' to the water here, it was the thing the city inspector was most concerned about (as in what he checked first).

Nice clean hole! Must've been a breeze to dig. The hole is currently ~2ft wider (and ~1ft deeper) than it will end up being so as to put the shell in etc.

I like the inset step/seat in the deep end, breaks up the design etc.

What type of fruit tree is that in the corner? Some sort of stone fruit?

Spoonman- Thanks! Yeah we initially were going to extend the shallow end from 32' to 36' long but decided to extend the deep end so it comes in closer to the house.

BuckeyeChris- Yep, here in Gilbert its 3' from the wall and 5' from any house or structure.

GeoSage- Yeah that backhoe tore through that dirt quite easily! I used to live in AJ and after about 1.5' I hit caliche rock when digging a koi pond. Much nicer dirt when your not so close to the mountains! Oh and that is a grapefruit tree. Had to trim it up quite a bit to make way for the PB.

Our HOA was much more restrictive on setbacks than the Town of Marana, and both were easy to get variances from when our layout and dig ended up a little over the lines.

I don't know your intended use for the pool, if you have kids, or how deep your deep-end is, but I would consider adding some additional bench areas, especially in the deeper end.

-- Edit --
I see that your pool is 8' in the deepest end, so I would definitely consider tucking in some more benches to make the deep end more usable. I know pool builders like to charge an arm&leg for benches, but it shouldn't add much to the actual costs except for the added shotcrete

AZdesertpool,

Yeah the pool builder had benches in our first design. A long one extending from the shallow to the deep end and one at the deep end protruding out into the pool. After thinking it over I wondered why would I dig a pool just to fill it back in with a bunch of cement blocks? When I was a kid there were never any benches, grotto's or beach entries. I just wanted as much water to play in as possible.

But I guess that depends on what the primary use of the pool is going to be. For us the main purpose is exercise ie swimming laps, teaching my kids the three survival strokes(Breast stroke, back stroke, and side stroke), and deep water training with weights. It will have a volley ball net but the sides will alternate deep and shallow to keep it fair. I grew up in Florida and when I was in the water I wanted to be fully submerged. I think its odd when people get benches that have you sit in a foot of water. I will use the bath tub for that....lol

Below pics show the long bench. The recessed bench in the deep end was protruding but we changed it to recessed and made the deep end wider.

Can finally see it taking shape! Shot Crete done. Been watering it down every few hours day and night. PB told me I only had to water it 2-3 times, only during daylight hours but I don't want to risk any cracking!

Have read to many posts on here where people have small cracks that they were told was normal. I am going on my fifth day of watering around the clock and I have seen no cracks.

Just had the tile installed today. Initially thought it was the wrong color but it was actually the reflection of the sun that was making the copper streaks look white!

The tile in the pool still has film of grout dust on it so its hard to see the the full color.

Yesterday they started the decking and completed some more today. Now we have to wait for the long labor day weekend to be over before they continue working on it.

j2jUJ4I.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cpyJWxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xKe5oIH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BHhpWsy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FsLeG5Y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JJEbY8U.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8SnpKER.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.