Foreclosure swamp is almost there.... New pool owner/Slam content.

Aug 5, 2016
egg harbor twsp
Hello Guys.

I have a nearly complete swamp to pool success story, but I have a few questions. I'll post my latest numbers tomorrow because my notes are not here but they are within spec.Here's the background:

I bought a foreclosure with a pool that was neglected for years and lost it's cover. I hired a pool professional to open it.
He did a great job of cleaning the debris and scrubbing the pool. He pulled out enough leaves to fill a Mini Cooper!

The problem was that nearly four weeks later my water was still green. It was better than the swamp black color that it was, but it still had algae.
The pool guy said it was fine.... I disagreed so I searched and found your forum.After some reading, I quizzed him about the relationship between CYA and clorine. He didn't have a clue. He was also using test strips, so...I bought a Tayor K 2006 test kit and began.

My CYA was high at 100, my FC low at about 6 ppm, and high CC. I drained some of the water and got the CYA down to 90. (in retrospect I guess that I should have gone further but this was all new to me.) I read about slamming, looked at the CYA/shock ratio, and added LOTS of 12.5% liquid chlorine to get the pool up to the recommended level of 35 PPM which scared the heck out of me !

I continued the process for four days until my water was clear (but still a bit turbid) and the CC test was _almost_ clear without the first drop of reagent, so safe to say below .5 CC. I replaced more water during those 4 days by back washing and last night my CYA was 70.00 with FC of 26 PPM.

So here's the question. I can't do an overnight loss test due to scheduling. Over a 19 hour time period that included a full day of intense sun, My chlorine had dropped from 26 to 16 ppm. We would like to use the pool over the weekend. If I let my FC drop and maintain at 8ppm, am I looking for trouble, or was that much chlorine demand/loss normal for a 19 hour time period with intense sun?

Thanks,
AuquaBat

Not normal. Continue the slam! However, you can swim as long as you can see a swimmer in trouble and the FC is below slam level. Just get back to the slam after swimming!

OK, Thanks!

I can see swimmers clearly. the pool is 40 feet long. standing on the ground above the water at the shallow end, I can see my two main drains at the far end in eight feet of water. It's just a bit turbid. I want it to be drinking water clear!

Will the pool survive two days of 8ppm, or should I slam each night?
I hate to have the kids swim with high chlorine levels. How high is safe at a CYA of 70?

Thanks.

Anything below 28ppm, which is your slam level. It really is okay to swim with "high" FC as long as you are in line with your CYA. Maintain 28 (or a tad higher) as often as you can. Then swim when it drops to 27-. When you're done swimming, boost it back up.

Yes, it is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. We swam every day last summer while SLAMing with FC 25 to 28 and CYA at 70. Nobody even noticed except the guy with the test kit. :)

FC at shock level for a given CYA level is less harsh than FC at 1 ppm in a pool with no CYA.

Your CYA will not change unless you do a water change or your FC goes so far negative that the algae starts eating it.

Thank you for the info.

I did not slam last night. This evening my water was nearly crystal clear. Here are the test results:

FC 9 ppm
CC .2
CYA 60 ( I am getting more critical/Better with this test and I am guessing that is why I drifted)
Ph7.2
TA 130

I put a few stabilized chlorine pucks in the skimmer. I'm off tomorrow. After swimming, I'm going to give the pool steps and jets a good scrubbing and I'll brush the pool really well. I'll test again of course. As long a cc is .2 and not zero I'm inclined to keep slamming. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Why did you choose to add pucks to your skimmer instead of just using liquid chlorine? They will just add more CYA.

If it were my pool, I would take them out right away. Then I would get a good FC reading an hour later and perform an OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why did you choose to add pucks to your skimmer instead of just using liquid chlorine? They will just add more CYA.

If it were my pool, I would take them out right away. Then I would get a good FC reading an hour later and perform an OCLT.

I put them in because the outside temps have been in the high 90's and very sunny ( it's the UV that eats chlorine, correct?). I work on call, and some shifts that would have possibly kept me at work for an extended period came up. The kids were in the pool at the time, and I need to leave immediately for work. I decided that it was the easiest way to add some chlorine with the kids being in the pool and without me being there for an extended period.

I'll be at the pool later today. I'll pull them and test the water. tonight I'll make changes accordingly.

Thanks for the input

You have done a great job so far! I can't wait to see pictures!

I really think you should look into a SWG (Salt Water Generator). It will help you maintain the FC with little to no input from you.........With your work I think this would work great for you. I am posting a link for you to read over and start learning about them:

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

There is a whole section on here about SWG and such. Feel free to read over it and ask any questions you might have.

:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

I am also going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info. to take it a bite at a time.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Thank you so much for the links. I've been reading as much as I can with the time I have. I've learned so much from this forum. The pool has been great! no one can believe it's the same pool, including myself ;-)

I'll post pics when I get a chance. This is my busy season, and I'm renovating a former foreclosure as well so remember that patience is a virtue :)
Best regards,
The 'Bat man.

Black Lagoon

3 Days into SLAM You can see the main drain at eight feet deep

Wala !!

I hadn't yet cut the grass because I wanted to keep the contaminants (clippings) out.
It's even clearer now that it's had time to filter properly. I truly could not have done this without you guys!

Thanks again,
The 'BatMan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.