Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Major cloudiness in new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Major cloudiness in new pool

My wife and I bought a 13'x42" Intex metal frame pool. The first day we filled it was fine, we added CYA while filling and after wards shocked the pool, and were able to swim once, later that day we went out to check the pool and it was milky/cloudy. I believe it has to do with my TA and Hardness from my fill water, I used my pool test kit and tested my tap water and its coming out crazy high just like the pool, TA 300 and CH of around 500. I don't have access to any other way to fill the pool, what can I do? I am currently using Dry acid and lowing the pH to around 7.2 then aerating to raise the pH but its not exactly raising very quickly, probably due to the high TA. All my tests so far are with a cheap HTH 6-way test kit, I'll order one of the nice ones soon. Nevertheless, any help would be appreciated. My wife and I have already put alot into this thing and just want to swim. Thanks for your help.

FC: Not Sure (Only have access to OTO test right now)
    TC: 3
    pH: 7.2 (aerating now)
    TA: 320
    CH: 500
    CYA: 20

My pool: 13'x42" Intex metal frame vinyl pool (approx 2800 gallon)
    Pool chemicals: Initially used chlorinating granules, but switched to bleach for the last chlorine addition, using dry acid (HTH pH Minus)
    My pump & filter: 1000gph Intex with filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Major cloudiness in new pool

if you're not sure about FC you can't be sure about TC since TC is FC + CC. I assume your FC is dark yellow, past the 3ppm right?
    how are you aerating? a cheap pvc setup helped me a ton. here is someone else's that I based mine off of.
    my-aerator-t7799.html
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah dark yellow, My pool is actually a little on the low side water level wise due to small kids, and the water return jet is slightly above the water line creating much turbulence and bubbling.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is white and cloudy. Since both your TA and CH levels are very high, white cloudiness would be calcium clouding. If it is calcium clouding, you will need to get your TA level down quite a bit to clear this up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School