Replace water then add stabilizer?

db100

Jun 16, 2016
Ellensburg,WA
Here are my test results today, and given what pool math suggested, I'm thinking I should replace the % of water before I add stabilizer.

FC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 150
CH - 350
CYA - 0

Poolmath says to replace 14% of the water to get the CH down and also says to add 150 oz of stabilizer. I'm on a community well, and since I already am at 0 for the CYA, I'm thinking the water replacement should come first. Then I should retest as I know my alkalinity will rise. Somewhere in there I will need to lower my PH, but not sure of the correct sequence to add the chemicals, given my numbers. Any help is much appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP db100

Have you tested the well water out of the tap to see what the CH is ?? If it's close to 350 coming out of the well replacing the water isn't going to do much.
I'd find out what the wells CH is and then either drain some water and add some chlorine or if it's high just add some chlorine to get an FC reading in there so you're not adding green water to the problem.

The order is not important. You can add chlorine first and then CYA 5 minutes later or vice versa.

It is important to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times to keep the pool sanitized and algae free, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

CH at 350 is ok. I don't think you have all the settings set up in PoolMath correctly if it is telling you to lower CH. Here are the Pool School - Recommended Levels

I would raise CYA to 40 ppm. Here is how to add CYA and other chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Looks like replacing water isn't going to make much of a difference, sorry.

Yup, I'd get some stabilizer in a sock and start to knead it to get it dissolved into the water a little quicker.

Attachments

• CYA in sock 1.jpg
    CYA in sock 1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 47
Db,

Once you get your pool water balanced you may want to consider a water softener. Your well water is very hard and will cause scale problems over time. Water Softener companies are a lot like pool stores... very conflicted. Check out Fleck water softeners... many online dealers. You can buy and install yourself for about 10% of the WS company price. It's easy to do. Let me know if you'd like more info on this.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for. The info on the water softener. I actually have one in the home but have never used it. Given the condition of the home, I was worried that it would leak all,over the floor, or in the crawl space, as it was not hooked up when we purchased the house. It's probable worth having it looked at, since it is already plumbed, just not in use. Maybe they just ran out of salt and decided not to turn it on before they sold the house. We'll see. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.