Shocking pool and adding CYA at the same time.

Jun 3, 2008
I started getting my pool ready for the season on Sunday. I knew that I had very low CYA levels, so I brought it up to a shock of 15. I've kept it up there since Sunday morning. The pool is blue (was light green when I started), and somewhat cloudy today, but not too bad. I went and got some CYA today, and I'd like to add it today.

So, my question is, my shock level was only 15 because my CYA level was so low. If I add CYA to get up to about 40, should I then raise my shock level, also, or will the CYA take so long to get into the water that it won't matter by that time (I know it takes up to a week for the dry CYA to register on the tests). I'd like to maintain my shock for at least today, and test overnight, to see if I need to continue with my shock levels. I just want to make sure I'm at a high enough shock level after I add the CYA.

Also, what is the best way to add the CYA? I remember reading something about someone putting a nylon sock in front of the filter maybe (?) but I can't remember the details. I tried to get a liquid CYA, but the pool store guy flat out told me there was no such thing (whatever). I then stood in line and listened to another employee tell a guy buying chemicals that "you can shock all you want, but chlorine will never get rid of the algae." Lol! I felt bad for the customer.

Thanks for the info, guys!

You want to use the shock level for your current CYA level until the day after adding CYA. Starting the day after you add CYA you switch to using the shock level for what you calculated your CYA level will be when the CYA finishes dissolving.

I like to put the CYA in a sock and put the sock in the skimmer.

Thank you! So, I'll keep FC at 15 today, and then bump it up to whatever the Pool Calc. says tomorrow (I *think* it's about 20, but I'll check).

For the CYA, just dump it into a pantyhose leg, tie it off, and drop it into the filter basket that's in the skimmer? Is that what you mean? That sounds easy enough. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.