1st full test in a while.

az240z

May 1, 2016
Glendale, Az
I haven't done a full test in quite awhile as I have been adding 42 0z of 12.5% chlorine every morning and approx 25 oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. This morning I saw some bloom on the surface of the pool cleaner,. I was going to to a complete test but it started raining. until now. Here are the results:

FC 4
CC.5
CH 400
TA 120
CYA 40
PH 8.5+

The water is clear but a vacuum is needed after the rain.

I'm wondering if I could get by with getting the PH adjusted and then shocking the pool. Pool math says to raise the FC level to 16 to shock or would a slam be better? The problem with slamming is that I don't have enough R0871 and R 0870 to slam. I will be ordering today but they won't get here until the middle of next week..

I'll back wash the filter and let the water run down to the skimmer and then refill it. Hopefully this will reduce the CH to a lower level..

I haven't done a full test in quite awhile as I have been adding 42 0z of 12.5% chlorine every morning and approx 25 oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. This morning I saw some bloom on the surface of the pool cleaner,. I was going to to a complete test but it started raining. until now. Here are the results:

FC 4
CC.5
CH 400
TA 120
CYA 40
PH 8.5+

The water is clear but a vacuum is needed after the rain.

I'm wondering if I could get by with getting the PH adjusted and then shocking the pool. Pool math says to raise the FC level to 16 to shock or would a slam be better? The problem with slamming is that I don't have enough R0871 and R 0870 to slam. I will be ordering today but they won't get here until the middle of next week..

I'll back wash the filter and let the water run down to the skimmer and then refill it. Hopefully this will reduce the CH to a lower level..

I think your pool is fine to swim in- just bump FC up by 2 ppm for now and order refills. Small algae patches are not end of the world, just brush them off. You can start your SLAM after refills arrive, I don't think you're in the imminent danger. I'd bring pH down, seems to be out of range so you don't really know how high it is unless you used some other test for it. I don't think TFP recommends shocking- it seems to be efficient that level needs to be maintained for days so the 'shock' becomes SLAM.

I got the PH down to 7.2 and raised the FC to what I thought was 6. This morning I checked and the FC was 8 but the oh rose to 8.2. What causes ph to rise overnight??

As far as the CF difference i can only guess that after adding the chlorine I didn't let it mix long enough to get a correct reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did a check of the PH at 4:30 this afternoon. Air Temp is 105.. PH was stable at 7.5 CF is at 4.5. The pump has been off. As far as the returns, they were facing up slightly, causing ripples in the water. I turned them down, hopefully that is whats causing my PH increase overnight. Additionally is a reduction of 3.5 CF, over an 8 hr period, normal? Also, if I'm losing that much CF during the day than their can't be much left when I add chlorine in the morning.

I'm thinking that I should do my chlorine add at night, hopefully it would then last 24hrs..

........ As far as the CF difference i can only guess that after adding the chlorine I didn't let it mix long enough to get a correct reading.

I did a check of the PH at 4:30 this afternoon. Air Temp is 105.. PH was stable at 7.5 CF is at 4.5. The pump has been off. As far as the returns, they were facing up slightly, causing ripples in the water. I turned them down, hopefully that is whats causing my PH increase overnight. Additionally is a reduction of 3.5 CF, over an 8 hr period, normal? Also, if I'm losing that much CF during the day than their can't be much left when I add chlorine in the morning.

I'm thinking that I should do my chlorine add at night, hopefully it would then last 24hrs..
What is this "CF" that you keep referring to?

Dom

Last edited:
With you FC at 10 your pH is probably not accurate. High FC messes with pH readings. I always add my FC at night since heat and sun eats chlorine and (if needed) you do an OCLT. A loss of 3.5 is not un-normal with your heat and sun - and swimmer use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry Dom I meant FC. So after running the pump all night the PH rose to 8.2. FC was at 10 so no loss of FC overnight.
Your high TA is what is most likely driving up your pH. As mentioned, your CSI is dangerously positive at your current levels (0.95 at 84F, higher if the water is warmer), and really needs to be addressed. Lowering both pH & TA will address this.

I think the moral to this story is that frequent testing is what prevents these situations.

Dom

Its 4:00 pm. Air temp is 106. Got the following readings: FC 7.5 PH 7.5 TA 90, Ch 450. Tap water ch is 185..

Pool math says to add 28 oz of acid to lower ph to 7.0. This should lower the csi from -0.21 to -0.04..

Just a note, I added approx 25 oz of acid this morning and lowered the ph to 7.2..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.