Step 1: Test, Step 2: Consult the Experts

Mermanaid

Bronze Supporter
May 15, 2016
Plano, Tx
Hi, all ... the pool builder has turned over the pool chemistry to us (I thought they were going to manage it a bit longer but ... that's a different story!). Feeling a bit overwhelmed but I know this whole testing routine will become second nature in time. So, posting my FIRST set of tests with the TF-100 kit and would love your advice. I've repeated the tests twice just to make sure I got them right and feel pretty confident with the second round (just a little different than my first result).

PH: 8.2
FC: .5 (took one drop)
CC: .5 (took one drop)
CH: 75 (7 drops)
TA: 50 (5 drops)
CYA: I haven't been able to do this with my test kit yet but using the Aquacheck strips from the PB it's registering 30 - 50.

So, if I understand my next steps:

1. Lower PH with muriatic acid. Goal = 7.5 Amount of MA to add depends on the type I find at the pool store (thanks Pool Math for telling me there are so many options!).
2. Get bleach in this thing STAT. Add 91 oz 8.25% bleach.
3. Increase CYA. I am in Texas so I think I should target 80? I'm not exactly sure but will do the CYA test in the morning to compare it to the Aquacheck strip.

So wise ones ... am I on my way or am I just delusional (and I am okay if you tell me that).

Good job starting this pool up right!

Why can't you test the CYA with the TF-100??
Get that FC up, and as soon as that is done get your CYA in there. If you DO NOT have a SWG aim for no more than 50 if you're in the sun more than not.
But if you have a SWG (which I can't tell from your siggy line) aim for 80. Sneak up on that goal rather than plopping it in all at once. You do not want to over shoot this one.

Your CH needs to come up. Use PoolMath to bring it up to about 300 to start than you can tweak more as you see how its going. If you don't do this the calcium in the plaster will be leeched out and weaken your plaster.

Be aware that new gunite will cure causing increase in pH which will require frequent doses of MA.

Learn how to use PoolMath to monitor your C.S.I.- goal is between -3 to +3

Thanks, YippeeSkippy! I thought it was best to test CYA first thing in the AM? I have all the stuff just figured I would wait until in the morning.

Just dosed pool to get ph down to 7.5 and FC to 5 (kind of a guess because I don't know exact CYA).

Boy that MA is some scary stuff. Now I know why the guy who did our acid wash was hacking up a lung.

I'll work on CH tomorrow after another visit to the store. Should I also worry about TA or focus on CH for now?

ETA: no SWG for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.