Air in returns from solar after start up each time.

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hello,

I have read here that you should let your panels drain after use, to prevent damage.

When I let them drain I get about 1 minute of air blowing through the returns on start-up.
Can the air in the lines do damage? I can feel the vibrations on my feet when I stand near
the returns. Its loud and I feel a little nervous.
Thanks!!

Not that I can see. Would it be near the valve to turn on the solar?
Is it like the valve on an air compressor that lets the air out?

I guess my question is it normal to have that much air in the lines?

My panels are roof mounted on to different roofs, with a (forget the name)at
the highest point to alow for drainage. I have a total of 9 12x2's. They are on a
25' run from the pump and about 15' up.

Thanks

That is normal.

When your solar shuts off, the vacumn breaker will allow the panels to drain (and fill with air).

WHen the pump starts pushing water through the panels, the vacumn breaker closes and the air has to go somewhere, so through your returns it is :).

Shouldn't harm a thing.

Freaked me out too at first. The only way to prevent it was to change things over to non solar operation just before the pump timer cuts off which defeats the purpose of the timer so I decided that it must just be the way it had to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.