Flow Rate and Turnover Time

Jul 8, 2016
Macomb, MI
Hi Folks,

I've been reading all the information on this site and still have a question.

My pump is rated at 86 GPM, my multiport valve is rated at 75 GPM and my filter is rated at 35 GPM. So for figuring flow rate and turnover time I need to use the lowest rating, correct?

Steve

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Calculating flow rate requires your pump curve and the head loss from your system, which requires quite a bit of detail about your plumbing and water handling components in the system. Head loss is the resistance to water flow within the circulation system. It's not particularly important to know the flow rate, and you can determine pump run time effectively per this article. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

For interest sake, your pump is probably moving the water somewhere around 30 to 45 gpm when filtering.

Thank you! I did read that article but the opening caught my eye.

"The actual pump run time you need primarily depends on the relative size of your pool, the pump flow rate,..."

Each component in the system (pump, valve and filter) all have different flow rates that I'm assuming can affect totals as well as plumbing and water handling components.

I'm going to follow the recommendations in the article and determine what I need for my particular setup.

Thanks again!
:D

Sade,

Just get the pump curve and check where you are by looking at the pressure on your pump. That's all you need to get the flow rate.

The various different devices change the discharge pressure but the actual discharge pressure you have corresponds to your actual flow rate. Using the lowest flow rating on any device in the system will not give the correct flow rate.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.