KREEPY KRAWLY and PUMP SIZING

wuzzup

May 31, 2009
I've been using a Kreepy Krawly for the several years. It does a decent job but it tends to get stuck in corners way too often. It also tends to stay towards the deep end and not so much in the shallows.

I'm having to do one of two things:
1. Either replace my entire filter pump, or
2. Replace the motor on the filter pump
I, presently, have WFE-3 Pentair Whisperflo (3/4 HP) that I need to repair/replace since it recently stopped working.

I've read the section on pump sizing and I realize that using an automatic pool vacuuming device (like the Kreepy) creates significant additional resistant on your pool's filtration demands. I can understand why the mfgs don't discuss this issue much since most homeowners would not be thrilled about having to spend several hundred dollars (or thousand) in filtration upgrade just to use their product...

Question #1: If I went up to 1 HP (vs the current 3/4HP pump used), would that allow for greater suction by the Kreepy and, subsequently, keep it from getting hung up in tight corners so often?

Question #2: How can I calculate for the additional resistance created by the Kreepy? Is there a general run of thumb, ie. plus 1/4 HP or 1/2 HP when using this type of equipment. I'm using close to 30' of hose, alone!

Question #3: Can you mount a 1 hp Whisperflo motor on a WFE-3 Whisperflo Filter pump? What is the specific specification that determines if I can or cannot?

Thanks for your help!

Before you buy a new pump, have you considered the possibility that all you may need to do to get your Kreepy working again is to replace a part or two?

The fin disc, the foot pad, and the diaphragm on Kreepys and Baracudas all wear out after a couple of years. If you have literally had it for years, this may be all that you need to do. On my Baracuda, I noticed that the foot pad and fin disc were worn down from constantly abraiding the plaster, much like the tread on a tire wears down after so many miles. It was getting stuck in corners and just doing a poor job overall. I went ahead and replaced the diaphragm too as they lose their elasticity over time. After doing so, that thing ran like a new machine, perfectly.

It's easy to fix these and much cheaper than buying a new pump.

257WbyMag said:
Before you buy a new pump, have you considered the possibility that all you may need to do to get your Kreepy working again is to replace a part or two?

The fin disc, the foot pad, and the diaphragm on Kreepys and Baracudas all wear out after a couple of years. If you have literally had it for years, this may be all that you need to do. On my Baracuda, I noticed that the foot pad and fin disc were worn down from constantly abraiding the plaster, much like the tread on a tire wears down after so many miles. It was getting stuck in corners and just doing a poor job overall. I went ahead and replaced the diaphragm too as they lose their elasticity over time. After doing so, that thing ran like a new machine, perfectly.

It's easy to fix these and much cheaper than buying a new pump.

I actually started the thread, "MY 3/4 HP WHISPERFLO FILTER PUMP STOPPED PUMPING", today. The motor lost it's prime somehow and got really hot. I'm going to check out the impeller tonight to see if a palm leaf has jammed up the impeller as Mike S suggested. This is actually the reason my Kreepy is not working.

I replaced the footpad and fin disk two years ago and you are correct, I saw a little better performance than before but it still tend to get hung up in corners, even when they were brand new...

Since I may have to replace the motor (or the motor and filter), I was simply asking about Pump Sizing and the use of Kreepy Krawleys. Barracudas and Kreepys have got to add a lot of resistance to flow but I'm not sure how to assess. That's why I started this thread.

On a related issue, I, (like probably many homeowners that maintain their own pools), did not understand the importance of regular back washing to algae growth. Once the DE gets loaded with dirt and other small particles and the flow resistance starts to climb, your pump is not processing as much water as before. If you don't backwash to relieve the pressure, you may be adding just as much chemicals as you normally do but it won't be as effective as when the filter pot pressure is much lower.

Also the pump motor is required to work harder to fight against a heavily packed filter pot and you'll have a higher electric bill as a result.

Having high vacuum suction is something to check for and a good indicator that your maximizing chemical usage and energy consumption.

Thank you for your suggestion on replacing the footpad on the Kreepy.

Any response to any of these?

Thanks for your help!

I've read the section on pump sizing and I realize that using an automatic pool vacuuming device (like the Kreepy) creates significant additional resistant on your pool's filtration demands. I can understand why the mfgs don't discuss this issue much since most homeowners would not be thrilled about having to spend several hundred dollars (or thousand) in filtration upgrade just to use their product...

Question #1: If I went up to 1 HP (vs the current 3/4HP pump used), would that allow for greater suction by the Kreepy and, subsequently, keep it from getting hung up in tight corners so often?

Question #2: How can I calculate for the additional resistance created by the Kreepy? Is there a general run of thumb, ie. plus 1/4 HP or 1/2 HP when using this type of equipment. I'm using close to 30' of hose, alone!

Question #3: Can you mount a 1 hp Whisperflo motor on a WFE-3 Whisperflo Filter pump? What is the specific specification that determines if I can or cannot?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.