New pool start up (Well now that everything is working)

Aug 5, 2016
Wilmington/NC
So Google has lead me to this site time and time again, so I figured it was time to join and get some specific info. I think I have the worlds most expensive baby pool LOL. It's a Pro Series 14' x 42". 3300G. I have a Intex SF60110 Sand Filter pump setup (3000GPH) and a Intex ECO8110 SWG (Both rated up to a 15000G pool).

So after the deck has been built and the pool has been set up I started filling the pool up with city water. Added my 80lbs of salt and got it desolved (per instructions). Added 0.8lbs of cyanuric acid (per instructions) and went to fire up the SWG for the first time and DOA. Soooooo that left me down and out for 6 days while the new SWG came in. I did add 10% liquid chlorine to maintain clear water till today when the new SWG came in.

So here's question. With the "Clorox My Salt Pool 6 way strips" it appears that I have my salt almost spot on (reading around 2900ppm) my free chorine is low ideal and my chlorine level is low ideal, total harness is Low/OK, PH and TA are LOW, and stabilzer is low/ok. Today was the first day the SWG ran and I haven't added liquid Chlorine since yesterday (12oz). I'd like to know your insight on how to bring my numbers up or am I jumping the gun seeing how its a new install?

I know that Intex isn't the most liked brand out there but it's what I'm working with. Any insights will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Super B

So Google has lead me to this site time and time again, so I figured it was time to join and get some specific info. I think I have the worlds most expensive baby pool LOL. It's a Pro Series 14' x 42". 3300G. I have a Intex SF60110 Sand Filter pump setup (3000GPH) and a Intex ECO8110 SWG (Both rated up to a 15000G pool).

So after the deck has been built and the pool has been set up I started filling the pool up with city water. Added my 80lbs of salt and got it desolved (per instructions). Added 0.8lbs of cyanuric acid (per instructions) and went to fire up the SWG for the first time and DOA. Soooooo that left me down and out for 6 days while the new SWG came in. I did add 10% liquid chlorine to maintain clear water till today when the new SWG came in.

So here's question. With the "Clorox My Salt Pool 6 way strips" it appears that I have my salt almost spot on (reading around 2900ppm) my free chorine is low ideal and my chlorine level is low ideal, total harness is Low/OK, PH and TA are LOW, and stabilzer is low/ok. Today was the first day the SWG ran and I haven't added liquid Chlorine since yesterday (12oz). I'd like to know your insight on how to bring my numbers up or am I jumping the gun seeing how its a new install?

I know that Intex isn't the most liked brand out there but it's what I'm working with. Any insights will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Super B

Welcome!

If you're going to keep pooling for years to come then it's worth for you to get a good test kit first so you could get actual numbers. Low/high/etc are qualitative values not much useful for making recommendations. TF100 kit is particularly popular around here. Meanwhile adding 12 oz of 10% chlorine should keep your pool sanitary. I don't know how to adjust SWG without reliable data so I'd keep it off for now.

The intex can get the job done IF you have the test kit to help keep everything balanced. See the link Max gave you for the one that will last you for a while.

Yeah I know the pool store will do it for free BUT is it REALLY free when you want out with $$ of stuff? Most of the stuff is not needed OR it can be bought at Walmart or Lowes for MUCH cheaper.

Here at TFP we teach you how to care for your pool on your own. Here is the corner stone of your pool care:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If you are interested I have a set of links I can share that will help you on a day to day, week to week, and Month to month bases.

:kim:

Thanks for the input. Yes I believe it is worth the investment, the kids and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Looking forward to several seasons hopefully.

Not sure what I was thinking last night by not putting the numbers down. Here's what I pulled today via strip. Proper test kit is on order so going to have to rough it with the strips till then
Hardness 100
TC .5
FC 1
ph 6.2
TA 30
Stabilizer 30

Also before I place my order for the tf100 is the speedstir really worth it? Also given its late in the season should I get the XL also or do yall think the regular kit will get me through the rest of the season?

ppl who bought SpeedStir swear by it, I don't have it as I bought my test kit from Amazon originally and I'm old school anyway

reagents don't go bad - I checked my original 1.5 yo against fresh refills and they produced exactly the same results.

Also before I place my order for the tf100 is the speedstir really worth it? Also given its late in the season should I get the XL also or do yall think the regular kit will get me through the rest of the season?

Pool math shows using the numbers above to add 44oz of Borax (by weight, 20 mule?) to get the ph up and 23oz of baking soda (by weight, arm and hammer?) to get the ta up. Sound about right? Which one should be added first? Sorry for all the newbie questions, The chemistry is just not clicking in my mechanical noggin yet.

- - - Updated - - -

ppl who bought SpeedStir swear by it, I don't have it as I bought my test kit from Amazon originally and I'm old school anyway

reagents don't go bad - I checked my original 1.5 yo against fresh refills and they produced exactly the same results.

Good to know. Keeping them inside a condition space or does it matter. My shop isnt conditioned but can make room in the house for the kit if it needs to be kept cool

Pool math shows using the numbers above to add 44oz of Borax (by weight, 20 mule?) to get the ph up and 23oz of baking soda (by weight, arm and hammer?) to get the ta up. Sound about right? Which one should be added first? Sorry for all the newbie questions, The chemistry is just not clicking in my mechanical noggin yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know. Keeping them inside a condition space or does it matter. My shop isnt conditioned but can make room in the house for the kit if it needs to be kept cool

Based on your original addition of 0.8 lbs of CYA your CYA level is above 200 ppm right now- about 3 times higher than recommended. Can you drain/refill 2/3 of your pool water?
In general I'd not do anything besides adding bleach until test kit arrives and you can get actual numbers- all of these guesstimates often lead to dead end (drain).

Bleach has nice property of 'disappearing' from the water so if you put too much all you have to do is to give it some time and its concentration drops on its own. Most other chemicals are not so forgiving- once they get in it's impossible to get them out.

I kept my kit inside the house, not in particular cool spot but it was not exposed to 100 degrees outside.

For what it is worth, I purchased by TF-100 test kit with the speedstir. I received the test kit but the speed stir was on backorder. I have been using the test kit for a couple of days and I cannot wait until the speed stir gets here. (just got an email today saying it was in and had been shipped) I can totally see where this little gadget would make testing SOOO much easier.

Ok sounds good. This is only the 2nd day of the SWG running (Original one was DOA, didn't know that until it was to late and CYA and salt were already added) and the CYA was based off the instructions for start up. I used the sock method in the strainer, been a week since the sock was dunked. Thanks for the advise and I'll keep the water clean up till I can get the kit here first of the week.

SWG is set for a 3hr run time and I've kept the pump on a 6hr run time. Starts around 2pm when the pool is in full sun. We have gotten around 3-4" of water added to the pool over the last 3 days due to storms so I'm sure that's not helping my cause.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it is worth, I purchased by TF-100 test kit with the speedstir. I received the test kit but the speed stir was on back. I have been using the test kit for a couple of days and I cannot wait until the speed stir gets here. (just got an email today saying it was in and had been shipped) I can totally see where this little gadget would make testing SOOO much easier.

Good to know! Thanks for the input. Plus I like gadgets LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok sounds good. This is only the 2nd day of the SWG running (Original one was DOA, didn't know that until it was to late and CYA and salt were already added) and the CYA was based off the instructions for start up. I used the sock method in the strainer, been a week since the sock was dunked. Thanks for the advise and I'll keep the water clean up till I can get the kit here first of the week.

SWG is set for a 3hr run time and I've kept the pump on a 6hr run time. Starts around 2pm when the pool is in full sun. We have gotten around 3-4" of water added to the pool over the last 3 days due to storms so I'm sure that's not helping my cause.

Surprisingly it could help: rain water diluted your pool water so CYA concentration would be lower. OTOH it could bring something with it so it might start to grow in there. I don't really know how ppl are taking care of their pools without testing or with unreliable testing.

I don't really know how ppl are taking care of their pools without testing or with unreliable testing.

I would suppose that newbies such as myself that have never owned a pool (other than a plastic pool from Walmart that you dump everyday after the kids are done playing in it) pretty much read the directions that came with the pool/equipment and follow them and when things start to go wrong or not do as the directions given say, we end up online to find out what to do and how to fix the issues.

Looking forward to getting a proper test kit and getting some real numbers so I can get this little ole pool up to proper speed. Kids are having a blast and so are me and the wife in it so I want to keep it in the best condition.

Ok proper test kit has been ordered. I went ahead and got the stirrer and XL options to get me over the newbie hump. Little ole strips still show my total chlorine and free chlorine both at 1, testing mid morning. After SWG runs (Have it set to run 2p - 5P) it brings them up to about mid 2's, course that with the strip so I really won't know till the kit gets here. Side note tho is the water is nice and clear and pool isn't slimy feeling.

You are going to love the test kit. Your kids will love helping you with it. They can get the water and help put the water in the tubes and help count the drops.

When you are out and about pick up a small notebook for keeping a log of your tests results. Many people find this very helpful in finding patterns. I even put in big weather events-Extra hot, rain, wind, etc to help see how the weather impacts the pool.

You are going to love the test kit. Your kids will love helping you with it. They can get the water and help put the water in the tubes and help count the drops.

When you are out and about pick up a small notebook for keeping a log of your tests results. Many people find this very helpful in finding patterns. I even put in big weather events-Extra hot, rain, wind, etc to help see how the weather impacts the pool.

Sounds good. Looking forward to getting some real numbers to work with for sure. I've actually already started a notebook on the pool, didn't think about putting in the weather events tho. That's a good idea, seeing how the pool gained 3-4" of water at the end of last week due to a bunch of rain.

Yeah the kids will definitely dig playing scientist.

Since you stated you like gadgets, I assume you may like To keep your records in digital form as well. I started using Jesse's excel spreadsheet and love it. It makes it easier to see patterns in the graphs section that automatically populates as you enter your results.
Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log (Excel spreadsheet))

Nice and I use Excel for a lot of stuff. Awesome share. Thanks

Just got an email that the test kit should be delivered tomorrow. Time for some real numbers!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.