Can I use my shark vac after using floc?

Aug 4, 2016
Decatur/AR
I used floc in my really cloudy in ground pool, worked like a charm and dropped the algae to the bottom of the pool, but now my manual vac is not working when I put the pump on the waste setting. My question is can I not use my shark vac, that I love by the way, it is self contained and the waste does not go through the sand filter

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: To simply answer your question ... I would not think using the Shark to remove the floc is a good idea. I think it would be overwhelmed. Ideally we recommend vacuuming floc to waste as to not compromise the sand/filter later. If your filter is not working on waste that's a separate issue I would definitely try to fix as soon as possible.

As for the use of floc and algae, you'll find here at TFP that's also not something we would typically recommend. I would guess that even though the floc may have helped to contain some junk and get it to settle, you still have live algae in the pool/system and the only way to really kill live algae is with chlorine - the proper amount. At TFP we use a "SLAM" process (link below) to kill/remove algae. To do that you also must have your own (proper) test kit to monitor the levels properly from home. I would highly encourage getting the TF-100 with Speed Stir. That kit will serve you well for this season and most of next and help you get through the "SLAM" required to remove that algae for good. Give it some thought and let us know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.