Muriatic Acid at Home Dept

Jul 30, 2016
East TN
I hope this is the right place to put this.

I went to Home Depot today to purchase muriatic acid. I have not seen anyone else mention this in any of my reading on here so I wanted anyone to be aware of what happened to me. I asked the gentleman in the paint department where the muriatic acid was. He brought me to where they stocked it. I had already read the review on that particular brand and knew it wasn't the higher strength that I wanted, neither did it get great reviews for my intended purpose. I told him i was looking for the 2 pack for $10 and showed him on my phone. HDX 2x1-Gallon Muriatic Acid-2118 HD - The Home Depot He stated that he kept that stuff in the back and would not sell that to me. I asked why and he said because I had children with me. He stated that it was against the law for him to sell it to me and me transport it with kids in the car. I told him i would put the package on top of my car in the luggage rack section but he didn't budge.

I was not going to drive back home without this stuff. I called around and found a friend who happened to be in the same city at the time and asked if he would come and let me put it in his vehicle so they would be satisfied. He did and thats ultimately how i was able to purchase this.

I just wanted to bring this up so everyone can be aware of it. The website did not mention anything about any of these restrictions nor did the packaging. Once i had the "transporter" they walked me back to the cement section where this stuff was sitting on the shelf just like all the rest of the merchandise in the store for anyone to pick up. If i wouldn't have asked anyone and found this in this section I could've just purchased it as normal with my other stuff.

I realize that he was, in all actuality, looking out for my childrens best interest. However I'm not sure I was being told the truth about the other stuff.

I have a feeling you just ran into someone's attitude.

I could be very wrong but I would be really amazed there is a specific law covering transporting acid in a vehicle with children. I would have asked for the store manager and to see something in writing. Just my 2 cents.
I am going to ask about it next time at Menards and Home Depot to see what my stores have to say on it.

that is weird, unless of course someone already sued HD over this and corporate issued a memo for such rule so if you found it yourself cashier would stop you at the checkout. Of course if you left your kids with someone in your car they wouldn't care less: in case of the next lawsuit they'd produce that dated memo that it couldn't happen on their watch. As sad as it might sound your kids interests were not on anyone's mind.

Jimmy,
Sorry to hear about your problem, glad you found a way out.
As an aside - I am British, I have a chemistry degree, l had never heard of Muriatic acid until I retired to the Philippines and built a pool. Clearly I wanted to know its formula, and quickly found out that it is Hydrochloric acid. Is this just a name used by the pool community? Is this a USA "thing", what is it called in laboratories in the USA? Enlighten me if you can, please.

Jimmy,
Sorry to hear about your problem, glad you found a way out.
As an aside - I am British, I have a chemistry degree, l had never heard of Muriatic acid until I retired to the Philippines and built a pool. Clearly I wanted to know its formula, and quickly found out that it is Hydrochloric acid. Is this just a name used by the pool community? Is this a USA "thing", what is it called in laboratories in the USA? Enlighten me if you can, please.

Apparently Muriatic means "pertaining to brine or salt", and they used to make HCL from rock salt and green vitriol. So they called it Muriatic Acid, among other things. Other industries call it muriatic also. plumbing, concrete come to mind.

Wow, I'd say you definitely ran into a HD employee that just wanted to throw around his weight. Living in southern California with the ridiculously strict HOV and chemical compound laws I ran into something similar when trying to purchase it the first time for etching mirrors (long before pool use). The employee kept telling me she had never heard of it and after asking another employee she said there would be no way they would stock such a hazardous chemical & asked me why I would need such a thing.

After finding it on the bottom shelf of another isle and stopped by to tell her about it on my way out in case another customer asked in the future. She proceeded to act as if she had never seen me before even though we had a 20 minute conversation less than 30 mintues before that. I can't imagine their jobs are easy since they work at a store with customer's that expect them to be experts when they only view it as any regular job, most not even being DIY types, but I still wish they wouldn't take that out on customer's who make it obvious they mean well and aren't trying to ruffle any feathers.

I'm sorry you had to go to such extreme measures just to buy a 2 pack of acid...your in TN? Are the HOV and chemical laws there strict?

Jimmy,
Is this just a name used by the pool community? Is this a USA "thing", what is it called in laboratories in the USA? Enlighten me if you can, please.

Hydrochloric acid (sp?) is what was on one side of the box, Muriatic acid was printed on the other. Not sure if they're one in the same or not but it appeared that way on the box.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry you had to go to such extreme measures just to buy a 2 pack of acid...your in TN? Are the HOV and chemical laws there strict?

No, we don't normally have strict laws of any kind. This is the first time I've ran into anything like this.

Yup you got an employee with an attitude problem. Muriatic acid being shipped in bulk would need special requirements such as certain hazmat markings and a special license. Buying 2 gallons and driving home does not. Now that you know where it is located in the store no need to ask anyone the next time just grab and go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the site doesnt list any specs... but if you zoom in on the pic it does say its 31.45%. Sounds like Barney was trying to pool store you in a big box store.... Did he watch you all the way out to make sure you didn't put it in your car?
Funniest part is, I went to Lowes to get mine, 3 y/o twins in tow, and the person I asked to find it was like... here it is, let me know if you need more...

I decided to email HD Customer Care Dept over this issue to see what they had to say about this situation. I explained everything that happened to the "T". The following is an excerpt from the email response I got back from them:

I am in total shock that this associate blatantly refused to assist you, and just ignored you. Let me begin my saying I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience and poor customer service that you received. As a consumer myself I understand where you are coming from and how this could leave a bad lasting impression.

I did partner with Kim, a member of the leadership team at the store, and she advised me that there is no such rule that you cannot purchase a certain item (Muriatic Acid) if you have children with you. She said if you have your receipt she will gladly look into this matter to see why this occurred. I would also like to speak with you to gather more information regarding this associate so that we are able to coach and train him on best customer service practices that way this does not happen in the future.

The ignoring me part happened after I went back to him after I found someone to haul this product for me. He saw me standing there and never would come over to help. Another associate finally helped me.

I am glad they're going to fix the issue. Still yet to speak with her on the phone but I'm hopeful this will all be straighten out now.

Ok I agree the HD employee was a pill. I've purchased MA at HD numerous times with my daughter. No problem.

However, if you were also purchasing liquid or powered chlorine I would say she was correct in refusing to sell you the MA for transport in the same vehicle. I always separate the MA from the chlorine when transporting.

In my experience I believe HD is generally the opposite. Most of the employees don't know what they are selling.

1. While generally they stock MA for pools outdoors in Garden and away from the chlorine I've seen stray MA on the chlorine pallet and stray chlorine on the MA pallet. The boxes look too much alike.

2. When I stack on the same cart the employees at checkout often just count the boxes, they don't note that MA is different from chlorine.

3. Because they get it by the pallet they way overstock and over time the boxes deteriorate. Under federal law if the boxes deteriorate they must return it to the manufacturer. All the HSD's I've been to in Sacramento have some version of this problem.

A slight diversion from the main topic but - have you ever called around to local pool stores to see if they sell MA in refillable jugs? I have a local pool shop here in town (been in business for a looooong time) and they sell MA in a 4 by 1 gallon safety carrier that contains refillable jugs. You put a $6 deposit on the safety carrier (only once and it is refundable) and then they sell you the MA four at a time in reusable jugs. I get 4 gallons for about $20 (~ $4.75 per gallon plus sales tax) and the stuff is HIGH STRENGTH (i.e., fumes are always way stronger for the this stuff than the retail gallons I can buy elsewhere). You may have a local pool shop in your area that does the same or sells MA in 2.5 gallon carboys. If so, it beats having to deal with no-nothing retail clerks that try to act like they're the police....

A slight diversion from the main topic but - have you ever called around to local pool stores to see if they sell MA in refillable jugs? I have a local pool shop here in town (been in business for a looooong time) and they sell MA in a 4 by 1 gallon safety carrier that contains refillable jugs. You put a $6 deposit on the safety carrier (only once and it is refundable) and then they sell you the MA four at a time in reusable jugs. I get 4 gallons for about $20 (~ $4.75 per gallon plus sales tax) and the stuff is HIGH STRENGTH (i.e., fumes are always way stronger for the this stuff than the retail gallons I can buy elsewhere). You may have a local pool shop in your area that does the same or sells MA in 2.5 gallon carboys. If so, it beats having to deal with no-nothing retail clerks that try to act like they're the police....

Same deal here. The same store sells chlorine as well and that part of their business is booming (TFP?) - this year I often see line up of customers hauling their containers in and out, quite a lively sight :). I often have MA jugs in the same container as LC, 2x2 so to speak. It may be not absolutely safe in case of very bad rear end accident but I think it's safe enough: with only 2 miles drive on residential streets I don't see someone rear ending me so badly that it will cause spill out. In latter case I'd have a lot of problems anyway as the stuff is strong, both MA and LC. I don't drive around with those jugs. Another reason to get SWG?

Is it higher strength than the 20% or whatever the normal stuff is? I can buy a gallon of 20% at rural king for $3.99 a gallon and haven't even had to use any since I got my TA lowered and added borates. I've got 1.5 gallons I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever need. But this does remind me I should check with my pool store for liquid chlorine, and see what they offer for MA.

Is it higher strength than the 20% or whatever the normal stuff is? I can buy a gallon of 20% at rural king for $3.99 a gallon and haven't even had to use any since I got my TA lowered and added borates. I've got 1.5 gallons I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever need. But this does remind me I should check with my pool store for liquid chlorine, and see what they offer for MA.

I think you meant 20-Baume which 31.45%. Yes, the stuff I get is sold as 20 Baume but if fuming is any guide (which it isn't really), then it's stronger than the special "Desert Blend" stuff they sell at LPS which is also marketed as "20 Baume" and cost $12+ for a disposable 2-pack.

I recently wanted to drastically lower TA so I needed a bunch of acid. But typically a 4-up of one gallon containers will last me more than 4 months. I hardly use any acid over the winter months or when I cover my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.