Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

1. Back To Top    #1

filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

I do a back wash once a week and the gauge is always at 12 -15...all the time. Is that a good thing? This week I even did the turn it on and off several times for about 30 seconds each time then I rinsed and it still sits at 12 -15. I have not seen it get any higher or lower. I also sometimes hear something in the filter like a rattle, not to noisy but it is definately there...what could that be? air?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

Quote Originally Posted by gabagoo
    I do a back wash once a week and the gauge is always at 12 -15...all the time. Is that a good thing? This week I even did the turn it on and off several times for about 30 seconds each time then I rinsed and it still sits at 12 -15. I have not seen it get any higher or lower. I also sometimes hear something in the filter like a rattle, not to noisy but it is definately there...what could that be? air?
    Does it go to 0 when off? If not its time to replace it. Even if it goes to 0 then are cheap enough to replace.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

3. Back To Top    #3

yes it goes to 0. what pressure is acceptable?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Filter pressure varies from system to system.....Yours is very typical.

Why do you backwash weekly? We suggest backwashing only when your filter rises significantly say 30% or 5-7 lbs. (It doesn't have to be exact, just significant.)

It sounds like your filter is simply not getting dirty so there is no need to backwash it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School