Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

1. Back To Top    #1

filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

I do a back wash once a week and the gauge is always at 12 -15...all the time. Is that a good thing? This week I even did the turn it on and off several times for about 30 seconds each time then I rinsed and it still sits at 12 -15. I have not seen it get any higher or lower. I also sometimes hear something in the filter like a rattle, not to noisy but it is definately there...what could that be? air?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter gauge always sits at 12 -15

Quote Originally Posted by gabagoo
    I do a back wash once a week and the gauge is always at 12 -15...all the time. Is that a good thing? This week I even did the turn it on and off several times for about 30 seconds each time then I rinsed and it still sits at 12 -15. I have not seen it get any higher or lower. I also sometimes hear something in the filter like a rattle, not to noisy but it is definately there...what could that be? air?
    Does it go to 0 when off? If not its time to replace it. Even if it goes to 0 then are cheap enough to replace.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

3. Back To Top    #3

yes it goes to 0. what pressure is acceptable?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Filter pressure varies from system to system.....Yours is very typical.

Why do you backwash weekly? We suggest backwashing only when your filter rises significantly say 30% or 5-7 lbs. (It doesn't have to be exact, just significant.)

It sounds like your filter is simply not getting dirty so there is no need to backwash it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School