Overlap liner installation general question

Jul 18, 2016
Rockaway, NJ
I am dealing with an issue with a pool supply company who will not admit they are wrong.

Question to all above ground pool owners with overlap liners: How much overlap do you have on the outside of your pool after the liner has been installed?

I just ha a doughboy overlap installed. It had 12 to 18 inches hanging over when complete. They cut it down to 6" and rolled it up under the top rails

3548fa324aa46950f8d127b29f54506f.jpg

d6d75c9a19dc8fd466d70deb77b64ba0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So here is my issue. My daughter ordered a replacement liner for her pool she and her husband put up this year. It was taken down from a neighbor last year and was offered to them. No brainer - this pool was a few years old - a 21 ft. round with a 52" wall. So she ordered coving for the bottom and had sand bought in and also ordered the liner pad for the bottom. Well the liner did not fit. There was only an inch and a half overlap and once the pool had about 8 inches of water in it it started to pull the liner down. Being a pool owner myself and installing 3 overlaps during the years I knew this was not enough overlap. They pumped out the water, called the company, who told them it must be cut short. She was assured that the 2nd one would fit. Well.............once again it did not. Out came the water, out came the liner and then I stepped in and ordered from another company a 54 inch high liner and - Bingo! Nice installation with enough overlap.

Here is the issue I believe. The liner she purchased was advertised as "fitting a 48 inch to 52 inch wall" . Clearly that is the problem. It simply does not fit a 52 inch wall. The company maintains we did something wrong and did not "raise up the liner enough with sand and coving so it would fit" and refused to refund them their money.

Anyone have any input for me? I am now on a mission to try to recover their money and so far it has been an uphill battle. I sent photos of the installation issues, the new liner, my pool liner and neighbor's pool liner showing sufficient overlap but they keep looking the other way and not admitting their advertising is at fault.

I have a 48" high pool and I have about 10+" of overlap on my liner (just replaced it last season) so with a 52" wall I would have had at least 6" of overlap.

Once you puLloyd the liner out of the box, they usually won't take them back. You can try with all your might but your best bet is to sell it on Craigslist.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I helped my installers when they hung the liner. There was a seam all the way around the liner that is now about 12" above the bottom after being installed. When we first started to drape the liner the installer was meticulous in making sure that seam was 12" from the top when we started putting water in. They would adjust it about 4" at a time when it got taught from the water until we were finally done.

I just ha a doughboy overlap installed. It had 12 to 18 inches hanging over when complete. They cut it down to 6" and rolled it up under the top rails

Wraenking... I realize this thread is over a year old but I noticed that seems to be a Crystal Creek liner from Doughboy... Did you get the 20 or the 25mil? We purchased a 25mil Crystal Creek for our 32x16 Doughboy Saratoga and I'm wondering if it would have been best to go with the 20 mil for a deep end (it would seem to me that it would be more flexible)... Anyway, could you post a picture to show how the overlap was rolled/tucked under the top rail after it was cut? Thanks!

We went with the 25 mil and there was no issues at all with the liner taking its form. The guys I had in my yard were very methodical. They were here for 3 days from start to finish. I think the spent 4 to 5 hours shaping and re shaping the sand to make sure it was perfect. I don't have a pic but will try to this weekend if I remember. It literally was just cut down, rolled up and duct taped the bottom of top rail so it would not be seen.

I will say that they did not install the liner into the pool all at once. They let the water filling it drop the liner all the way down taking their time and undoing the binder clips one at a time to make sure the liner dropped evenly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with the 25 mil and there was no issues at all with the liner taking its form. The guys I had in my yard were very methodical. They were here for 3 days from start to finish. I think the spent 4 to 5 hours shaping and re shaping the sand to make sure it was perfect. I don't have a pic but will try to this weekend if I remember. It literally was just cut down, rolled up and duct taped the bottom of top rail so it would not be seen.

I will say that they did not install the liner into the pool all at once. They let the water filling it drop the liner all the way down taking their time and undoing the binder clips one at a time to make sure the liner dropped evenly.

Thank you for the information! And, that is the right way to install the expandable liners as per Doughboy specifications, so your guys did it by the book, it sounds... Excellent!

BTW, I think yours is the only Crystal Creek I've seen pictures of... Looks great! I'm glad we went with it, and also glad to hear the 25 mil had no issues stretching into the deep end.

No worries on the pictures, I think the way you described it gave me a pretty good idea on how it was rolled up... But I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your pool in general, especially if you happen to have pictures of what the color of the water looks like under different lighting conditions (overcast vs sunny, etc...) I wanted to go with a deeper blue/darker water color effect, which is why we chose the Crystal Creek.

To add to this discussion, my overlap installation was "tucked in", but in a slightly different manner than Wreaking's. I'll try and get pictures later on this week with better lighting.

Also, I absolutely love the Crystal Creek patterned liner. The water color varies from a deep blue, to a bluish green, to a bluish gray, depending on time of day, angle of the sun, and overcast conditions. The Doughboy Saratoga is a white and gray pool, so when the water is deep blue it makes it really pop!

Here's a preview... :cool:

endcap.jpg

To add to this discussion, my overlap installation was "tucked in", but in a slightly different manner than Wreaking's. I'll try and get pictures later on this week with better lighting.

Also, I absolutely love the Crystal Creek patterned liner. The water color varies from a deep blue, to a bluish green, to a bluish gray, depending on time of day, angle of the sun, and overcast conditions. The Doughboy Saratoga is a white and gray pool, so when the water is deep blue it makes it really pop!

Here's a preview... :cool:

View attachment 70038
I agree. We are very happy with this liner. I closed the pool yesterday and did notice a white spot near where the bottom of steps sit. I'm sure the pattern was just rubbed away so next year I may look for a mat for the ladder to sit on but also worried about algea growing under the mat. We shall see

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.