CYA levels

Tmman

Aug 4, 2016
Pahoa
I have a problem with high levels of CYA, and I believe this is why I also have a problem with green algae. My CYA averages 80ppm which I have down from a high of 170. All my readings are in the normal range, PH 7.5, Alk 112, Calcium Hardness 270, average pool temp 82. Please note I live in a rain forest the water here is very soft and very clean, I average 100 pounds a month of calcium chloride just to keep my calcium hardness above 250, for a plaster pool. I've been keeping my FC between 2 and 4 with the average about 2.7, I want to know if I should keep my FC higher. I read somewhere on this forum a chart that gave FC averages based on CYA but I can't find it again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a problem with high levels of CYA, and I believe this is why I also have a problem with green algae. My CYA averages 80ppm which I have down from a high of 170. All my readings are in the normal range, PH 7.5, Alk 112, Calcium Hardness 270, average pool temp 82. Please note I live in a rain forest the water here is very soft and very clean, I average 100 pounds a month of calcium chloride just to keep my calcium hardness above 250, for a plaster pool. I've been keeping my FC between 2 and 4 with the average about 2.7, I want to know if I should keep my FC higher. I read somewhere on this forum a chart that gave FC averages based on CYA but I can't find it again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

How did you get your numbers? Just trying to understand how reliable they are.

What type of "chlorine feeders" do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

And, we would love to see a pic of your pool!!! So large and in the rain forest? Gotta see it!

61d0cd5face9e6a85e8b5e83bf9ee84c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the colorQ pro 11 "DPD"

They look reliable- then as already pointed out your FC has been way too low for even your current CYA level. Basically with that CYA it's practically the same as no chlorine at all. You'd need to switch to liquid chlorine exclusively and SLAM the pool. Problem though your DPD kit has limit of 10 ppm. You might get around this with dilution as for SLAM you don't need 1 ppm resolution anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is huge!!!! Thanks for the pics!

NOT happy with 3 in-line chlorine tab dispensers. You are on your way back to a CYA of 170 because those tabs add CYA. Have you looked into a SWG or a stenner?

I'm trying to get the board of directors to allow me to switch over to calcium hypochlorite tabs vs the trichloro s triazinetrione tabs we use now. But not having much success. FTR the reason I fight with high CYA is "I believe" we are near an active volcano and sometimes we get "vog" a form of acid rain.
I'm not sure what SWG or stenner is. I would like to know though if you would share.

They look reliable- then as already pointed out your FC has been way too low for even your current CYA level. Basically with that CYA it's practically the same as no chlorine at all. You'd need to switch to liquid chlorine exclusively and SLAM the pool. Problem though your DPD kit has limit of 10 ppm. You might get around this with dilution as for SLAM you don't need 1 ppm resolution anyway.

Slam is something new to me. I super chlorinate the pool about every two weeks with calcium hypochlorite granules which are a headache to dissolve prior to putting in pool. I will put in a request to go with liquid bleach but the board will take its time in giving me an answer. In the meantime is my method worth the time and effort.

I'm trying to get the board of directors to allow me to switch over to calcium hypochlorite tabs vs the trichloro s triazinetrione tabs we use now. But not having much success. FTR the reason I fight with high CYA is "I believe" we are near an active volcano and sometimes we get "vog" a form of acid rain.
I'm not sure what SWG or stenner is. I would like to know though if you would share.

you're putting CYA there yourself- check MSDS on those chlorinating tablets or the bottom of the PoolMath page (link at the top) where it says 'effect of adding ...' Don't blame volcano for everything :)

SWG produces chlorine by electrolysis. Besides initial cost and possible maintenance it's the most chemically self contained system which in theory requires only water. In practice it requires some MA additions from time to time.

Stenner is brand for peristaltic pumps which are used along with a timer to dose off liquid chlorine into the pool. You'd still need to store it somewhere as contrary to SWG chlorine is not produced by this system, only dispensed.

Neither of them introduce extra chemicals to the water, that's why they're loved around here.

The bolded parts are related. If you went with bleach alone, you are probably looking at around 3-4 gallons per day based on bather load.

you're putting CYA there yourself- check MSDS on those chlorinating tablets or the bottom of the PoolMath page (link at the top) where it says 'effect of adding ...' Don't blame volcano for everything :)

SWG produces chlorine by electrolysis. Besides initial cost and possible maintenance it's the most chemically self contained system which in theory requires only water. In practice it requires some MA additions from time to time.

Stenner is brand for peristaltic pumps which are used along with a timer to dose off liquid chlorine into the pool. You'd still need to store it somewhere as contrary to SWG chlorine is not produced by this system, only dispensed.

Neither of them introduce extra chemicals to the water, that's why they're loved around here.

Thank you for the info I'll check into it. And yea I know I'm adding CYA and that's why I'm trying to find a much better method. Thank you again

Thank you for the info I'll check into it. And yea I know I'm adding CYA and that's why I'm trying to find a much better method. Thank you again

as was pointed out your method of using cal-hypo instead of tablets + liquid chlorine should be just what you need: you'll always be able to adjust proportion if your CH will raise too high. The cal-hypo / LC proportion depends on how much water you replace with soft fill water, in other words what is your say monthly CH 'loss'. I wish I had that problem :).

Do not use CalHypo tabs in that feeder. They are not as firm/compressed and dissolve quicker than the TriChlor tabs. They will just plug up those feeders. Plus, from a safety standpoint you should never mix chlorine types in any enclosed space like that feeder as it can have explosive results.

Pool Chemical Explosion Accident Analysis and Investigation at chemaxx.com

Pool Chemical Explosion - YouTube

You have high CYA because Trichlor tabs are almost half CYA in the chemical compound. It has nothing to do with your volcano or acid rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.