Alabama
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
PH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 70
Salt 3000 running at 15% 8 hrs daily

These have been my numbers for over a month. I have kept the FC high because of previous algae problem in June. The water is crystal clear. I had surgery two weeks ago so I haven't been able to brush, but hubby has a couple of times. He went swimming last night otherwise no one has used the pool.
This afternoon he comes and tells me we have algae again. Water clear, but definitely algae on the bottom.
We've had a good amount of rain, but my numbers have been stable. He thinks we need to get an automatic vacuum to keep the water stirred up and help. Obviously I see a slam coming up, but have to get the supplies. Any thoughts on why we have an outbreak?

FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
PH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 70
Salt 3000 running at 15% 8 hrs daily

These have been my numbers for over a month. I have kept the FC high because of previous algae problem in June. The water is crystal clear. I had surgery two weeks ago so I haven't been able to brush, but hubby has a couple of times. He went swimming last night otherwise no one has used the pool.
This afternoon he comes and tells me we have algae again. Water clear, but definitely algae on the bottom.
We've had a good amount of rain, but my numbers have been stable. He thinks we need to get an automatic vacuum to keep the water stirred up and help. Obviously I see a slam coming up, but have to get the supplies. Any thoughts on why we have an outbreak?

I'd try to measure overnight FC loss first- you have time, it's not going to turn green tomorrow at this FC level and you have CC = 0 atm. I get algae patches from time to time also at CC=0 and simply brush them off, never had this developing into something more serious. I brush entire pool weekly so that might help as well. How long ago did you clean your filter? Have you tried to add a little DE to it? How do you clean the bottom of the pool? I have this automatic vacuum 'The Pool Cleaner' crawling around weekly so that probably also helps. It's a joy to see reliable numbers, removes bunch of other possibilities right from the start :)

The auto-vac is wonderful and will help exactly like you are thinking. Until then, brush more often. With visible algae you should be brushing thoroughly nightly until it is no longer visible.....anywhere.

I was brushing daily until my surgery on the 18th. I'm restricted for 6 weeks now. Hubby has brushed at least weekly. Pool is enclosed so we don't vacuum it real often. Filter is not even a year old and has been back washed. Pressure is constant.
We have a suction outlet for a vacuum, but I was concerned with vinyl that it might damage it. Any recommendations in that department? I really don't want to spend the money for a robotic right now.
I'll do an overnight and see where we're at. Thanks!

Then get the pool brushed more frequently than once weekly and your algae issues will still go away. Don't be shocked if you pass the OCLT but brush that pool before and I'll bet you will not pass it.

I was brushing daily until my surgery on the 18th. I'm restricted for 6 weeks now. Hubby has brushed at least weekly. Pool is enclosed so we don't vacuum it real often. Filter is not even a year old and has been back washed. Pressure is constant.
We have a suction outlet for a vacuum, but I was concerned with vinyl that it might damage it. Any recommendations in that department? I really don't want to spend the money for a robotic right now.
I'll do an overnight and see where we're at. Thanks!

The Pool Cleaner is not a robot- just plastic mechanical contraption with rubberized wheels powered by suction. You can buy 2 wheel version as it would be quite enough for your pool. I found it was very hard to clean the bottom with the brush only so some kind of vacuum would be needed anyway.

More frequent brushing will help, and you can also try adjusting the returns to get better circulation in the area that turned green. A suction side pool cleaner such as a Zodiac Baracuuda will move water around and pick up any fine debris you may have. These type cleaners are usually under $200 and work well in fine debris situations. Leaves and acorns tend to clog them up easily but you shouldn't have that problem with a pool enclosure.

Is it possible that I've created chlorine resistant algae by keeping my FC level high? I've kept it at bay for the past few days, but I think it's getting ready to take over. My dilemma is that we are on the brink of major rain for the week. I had my hubby brushing with thunder in the distance. I think a SLAM is definitely due, but I don't think it's going to be safe or feasible right now. Any suggestions?
FC 11
CC 0
Everything else the same except ph creeping up of course.
Upped the SWG to 50 % today.

Is it possible that I've created chlorine resistant algae by keeping my FC level high? I've kept it at bay for the past few days, but I think it's getting ready to take over. My dilemma is that we are on the brink of major rain for the week. I had my hubby brushing with thunder in the distance. I think a SLAM is definitely due, but I don't think it's going to be safe or feasible right now. Any suggestions?
FC 11
CC 0
Everything else the same except ph creeping up of course.
Upped the SWG to 50 % today.

if your CYA reading is correct your current FC is above normal level already, I don't see how the algae outbreak is possible.
Rain doesn't usually create problems unless you get a run off which brings all sorts of things from the ground. Water from the sky is actually the best thing you can hope for as 'fill' water. If you expect a lot- drain your pool a little to make sure all of it would fit :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My concern with the rain is only in regards to the ability to test and brush because we're talking major thunderstorms. We get over 65 inches of rain a year and they are talking maybe 10 or more in the next few days. We had 22 in one weekend last year!
I don't understand the algae either. The FC has been at least 10 for over a month and my CYA is as accurate as can be considering the objectivity of the test. I know it's not too low.
Thanks for the reply.

My concern with the rain is only in regards to the ability to test and brush because we're talking major thunderstorms. We get over 65 inches of rain a year and they are talking maybe 10 or more in the next few days. We had 22 in one weekend last year!
I don't understand the algae either. The FC has been at least 10 for over a month and my CYA is as accurate as can be considering the objectivity of the test. I know it's not too low.
Thanks for the reply.

In relation to CYA my concern is the opposite- if it's too high: if you read it lower than it really is then you'd pick lower target FC increasing risk of algae return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.