Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool is finally balanced for the first time this year :kim:with the exception of chlorine which is between 7.5 and 10. I'm using Taylor K-2005. But, I'm ordering the better chlorine tester.

My question is: Is there a minimum time to run your filter or a minimum chlorinator setting?

I'm running for 10 hours a day @ 45%. I was running for 12 @ 50%. But, as I got my other things balanced the chlorine went up. So, I'm gradually bringing it down. But, is there a best way to do that?

Your FC should be based on your CYA. What is your CYA?

What size is your SWG?

How many gallons is your pool? If you don't know, use pool math to estimate.

The DPD test included in the K-2005 is useful to see if you have any chlorine, but as you've realized it is best to have the FAS-DPD kit to test FC because it is more accurate for FC and CC.

My pool is finally balanced for the first time this year :kim:with the exception of chlorine which is between 7.5 and 10. I'm using Taylor K-2005. But, I'm ordering the better chlorine tester.

My question is: Is there a minimum time to run your filter or a minimum chlorinator setting?

I'm running for 10 hours a day @ 45%. I was running for 12 @ 50%. But, as I got my other things balanced the chlorine went up. So, I'm gradually bringing it down. But, is there a best way to do that?

If you mean you got FC / CYA ratio where it's supposed to be according to The Chart then all you need is to adjust your SWG so it'd produce enough FC to compensate for daily loss. Running time depends on your pump type and local electricity prices. Under the same equal conditions VS pumps can be ran much longer without affecting your bill much. So I'd come up with desired running time first then adjust SWG output so it would maintain steady FC. If FC got too high I'd simply turn off the cell temporarily, let FC fall to the desired level and then turn the cell back on. If it falls too low I'd use bleach to adjust it back. Pump should be left running through this period as usual. Trying to 'catch' FC by decreasing SWG output might be too complex as you'd need to control both FC decrease and SWG output at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.