What is the point in closing your inground pool?

Pennypat

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2016
Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm thinking of leaving my pool open. I have some friends who leave theirs open year round. But, do you have to keep the pump running daily, like in the summer? And, keep the chemicals balanced in the same way? Is the point of covering just to not maintain it? As you probably guessed, this is my first experience with a pool.

I've always kept mine open year round and maintain proper balance.

In the winter months I only run the pump on saturday for a few hours and vac any debris on the floor.
That's about it for off season.

Chlorine usage is much lower during that time as well.

For some it could be a concern if they are in constant freezing climate though there
is freeze protection on some pumps.

Mostly though it seems like it would be one less thing to deal with for those that close each winter.

Mine stays open. I switch to bleach for chlorine when the water temporarily drops below 70. As mentioned, FC usage is very low when the water is cold. Pump runs a few hours a day to skim.

Depends on the climate and the area you live in.
I live in The Netherlands, and my backyard has very high level of groundwater. Closing (and emptying) my pool would result in serious risk of groundwater pushing between the concrete wall and the liner. Our winters are not extremley long and col, so keeping the water in motion should be enough to prevent the water from freezing.
As soon as the outside temperature reach 2 degrees celcius I let my pump kick in until it reaches about 3 or 4 degrees.

I was told that below 15 degrees celcius, algae can't live so when the water is below 15 I stop maintaining chlorine level (or any chemistry level at all).

I close mine. Now when it's midnight in January and there is an ice storm and the power is threatening to go out, I sleep like a baby. Also I don't have to make any bleach runs from October through May and don't have a pump using electricity every day. The water change I get from lowering a foot or so is helpful as well. I did leave it open one year, and have a freeze protect circuit installed.

I'm with joyfulnoise on this. Here in Houston, we could throw the heater on for a few hours and be swimming in November or December. Spa is always fun as well. We built a bigger spa for the kids for that reason. It really irritates my in laws in Connecticut and Massachusetts when we send them pictures of us swimming in December.

I'm with joyfulnoise on this. Here in Houston, we could throw the heater on for a few hours and be swimming in November or December. Spa is always fun as well. We built a bigger spa for the kids for that reason. It really irritates my in laws in Connecticut and Massachusetts when we send them pictures of us swimming in December.

My brother "has to visit" his in-laws in St Louis every Christmas (you know who makes that decision ;) ). Last year I texted him a picture of all of us sitting in the spa with Santa hats on with the text "Wishing You 'Warm' Xmas Greetings!".... he texted me back with the middle-finger emoji. Hehehehe :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I never close the pool. Once it gets too cold, November ish, I run the pump an hour a day with the Polaris. The chorine demand drops to a cup every few days....

I'm ready to start slowing down my pool pump. I live in GA and it is around 83 everyday now and the pool is about 70 degrees. Could I go ahead and start running my pump less time. I run it for 8 hours a day now which is what I was running it in the summer months. Do you just trend down the time you run it or wait until it gets really cold. It does get freezing and below here. But, usually in Jan./Feb. By March it starts getting warm again. I have some sort of freeze protection on my pump. But, I guess I need to read up on that. I don't know if it is automatic or not. (first time pool owner).

PennyPat- I haven't closed my pool since moving in. Nor do I plan too. What you plan to do sounds just right. I don't have the freeze protection thing on my pump, though, so I do it myself if I hear about a cold night.

I'm kind of with C3Cl3N3O3. I don't want to worry about power outages and freezing temps from ice storms or something of that nature. I've been without power for several days due to an ice storm before.

So at some point this year, I'm going to half close my pool. I will winterize my plumbing and pump/filter, and plug all lines. But I'm going to leave the pool uncovered. I covered it last year, and I'd just prefer not to if I don't need to. I have no trees to dump leaves in it, and our safety fence keeps most debris out. If anything does get in it I'll vacuum it with a leaf vacuum that uses the garden hose for power.

My water is 65 and already using quite a bit less chlorine. I'm hoping it'll soon be using so little I'll hardly ever have to add chlorine.

I would hazard to guess that most folks in the more southern climates don't close their pools. I dont close mine.
I would say you're on the right track. If the temps get down close to freezing, just make sure your pump is running and you'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.