Every other minute or so Bubbles shoot out...

May 23, 2009
Of my return jets. It only last for like 10 seconds and then it's back to normal. Also when the bubbles thing happens it sounds as if my filter is kinda surging or something. I guess this means I have some kind of air leak huh? Is that harmful to equipment.

Thanks

When you hear your pump "surging", do you notice at the time that air appears in your strainer basket on the pump?

It sounds as though you might have a suction side leak somewhere, this being in the equipment coming from your pool to the pump. Air bubbles in the returns and loss of pump prime can indicate this.

Make sure that the lid on your strainer basket is snug and that the O-ring seals well.

That sounds like an air leak on the suction side of the pump. Could be the pump strainer cap is leaking, check the drain plug on the inlet strainer, maybe the pool level is low and you are getting air from the skimmer, or maybe the inlet line to the pump has a crack or leak. If you have a gate valve on the inlet line check the packing nut. If it's real loose you could be sucking air though the valve.

catagory5 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. No the water level is not low. As far as the pump strainer, I will check when I get home from work. I hope it is not an underground piping leak..... :oops:

It is usually not an underground piping leak, although it can be. Generally, suction side leaks are the result of a loss of proper seal. Examples include the strainer basket lid which was mentioned, or a jandy valve that requires a new gasket or needs to be replaced.

When you have the time, you can attempt to isolate the problem by checking the strainer basket lid and O-ring and if that doesn't fix it, try different suction settings on your valves. For example, try shutting your skimmers off and open only the floor drain. Then try the skimmers only and close the floor drain. Sometimes you just have to monkey around with things to see what changes. Let us know what you find out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.