exposed rebar

Aug 4, 2016
Fresno, CA
Please help. We are currently under construction of our first pool. It is an inground gunite pool. The PB is in the electric phase and right before plastering. I have noticed that there are numerous areas where there is exposed rebar. I brought it to the attention of the gentleman who was in charge of the pre-plaster phase (he is an employee of the builder). His response was that he sprayed some grey paint over them for rust prevention (these are in the areas of the jets and lights on the walls) and it will be covered by plaster and all will be well. During this conversation, he pointed out more exposed rebar on the floor of the deep end. There has been standing water in the pool for over two weeks. This is due to them telling me I needed to spray down the pool/gunite 2-3 times a day for 10 days after they finished the gunite (to prevent cracking). I live in an area where the summer days are never under 95 degrees and July and Aug are consistently in the triple digits.

I have a background in chemical coatings/paints and paint has no rust inhibiting properties, so I know that will not prevent the rebar from rusting. My question is or thought is that the proper fix would be to resurface the exposed area with gunite.? Everything I have read and seen tells me this. Rust in pools is caused by rebar corrosion in most cases and by it reaching the surface of the pool. Even though we only have a couple weeks of enjoyable swimming weather I do not want to sacrifice the integrity and longevity of the pool. Also the umbrella hole in our play shelf is three times the size of the plastic sleeve insert. I was told it would get filled with plaster.

What should we do? Is it ok for them to move forward with the plaster as is or...?

Please advise.

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5959.jpg
    IMG_5959.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 114
Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Most (all) plumbing in the gunite is tied to the rebar for support. That hole around the pipe will be completely filled with plaster and brought out to the end of the pipe and terminated with an eyeball fitting. Plaster is more waterproof than gunite is. Rebar is not the most common source of iron in a pool, well water is. I agree that there is no value in painting the rebar. Yes, I would let the build move on to plaster.

You should trust your PB, he is building the second most expensive thing on your property and he is responsible for your warranty. All your due diligence in the shopping/quoting process should give you enough confidence to trust what they tell you and trust that they will build a good product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.