Am I reading the Pool Math wrong

Is PH at 7.3 ok? Pool math says the goal is 7.5-7.8.

I am trying to change my signature in Tapatalk, but can't figure it out. I will try to log onto the main site and put in the specifics.

IG 12,000 gallons
Pentair Intelliflow 2
Plaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is PH at 7.3 ok? Pool math says the goal is 7.5-7.8.

7.2-7.8 is what is considered to be an acceptable range to be in for swimming comfort. Most pools, because of normal water alkalinity, cannot really stay below 7.5 for long periods of time without constant acid additions. So for many pool owners where rising pH is the normal behavior for a pool, being above 7.5 allows the pool to "hang" at that pH for long periods of time thus minimizing the need for acid additions.

For example, with my TA down at 60ppm (and my 50ppm borates), if I lower my pH to no less than 7.6 with acid additions, then my pH will tend to hang at 7.7 for well over 10-12 days. If I lower my pH to 7.2, it will consume a lot of TA and pop right back up to 7.6 in a few days. So it makes no sense for me to target a pH lower than 7.6 because all I will do is just add lots of acid to my pool and cause my TA to crash. It's better for me to just live between 7.6-7.8 and only have to make minimal acid additions.

There are pools that will experience falling pH but that is an uncommon problem and is generally found in areas where the fill water is very acidic and contains little natural alkalinity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
7.2-7.8 is what is considered to be an acceptable range to be in for swimming comfort. Most pools, because of normal water alkalinity, cannot really stay below 7.5 for long periods of time without constant acid additions. So for many pool owners where rising pH is the normal behavior for a pool, being above 7.5 allows the pool to "hang" at that pH for long periods of time thus minimizing the need for acid additions.

For example, with my TA down at 60ppm (and my 50ppm borates), if I lower my pH to no less than 7.6 with acid additions, then my pH will tend to hang at 7.7 for well over 10-12 days. If I lower my pH to 7.2, it will consume a lot of TA and pop right back up to 7.6 in a few days. So it makes no sense for me to target a pH lower than 7.6 because all I will do is just add lots of acid to my pool and cause my TA to crash. It's better for me to just live between 7.6-7.8 and only have to make minimal acid additions.

There are pools that will experience falling pH but that is an uncommon problem and is generally found in areas where the fill water is very acidic and contains little natural alkalinity.

Therein might be the answer to my question. I do not have a non-softened spigot. I just found this out by testing my water from the hose bib. I just tested it for CH and it showed none so my fill water is treated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.