Sand or dirt on bottom

Jul 24, 2008
I turned to this forum last summer when I had a terrible algea problem that took several weeks to clear. We finally had clear water again after some following the directions on this forum and switching to liquid chlorine / bleach. We had been using a Pool Frog and shocking with the bags of pool shock and ended up with a high CYA (over 100). After researching this site we discontinued the Pool frog. Around this time we also purchased a new Sand Filter and pump. My husband got tired of cleaning the cartridge and was convinced that this was part of our problem with getting the algea to clear after shocking.

So, the rest of the last season was pretty much trouble free except I was noticing that I was seeing more sand/dirt on the bottom of the liner - it would settle in spots. I would brush it but it would never seem to clear. We have had the pool open for 2 weeks now and the water has been in good balance and clear after initial shocking. Although it is still pretty cold here in MI for swimming, the kids have only been in it once. I have vacuumed and brushed but these sand/dirt areas seem to be more prevelant. I didn't notice this so much with the cartridge filter so I'm thinking the filter must be putting sand back in to the return - is this possible? Any suggestions for getting rid of it. I've got crystal clear water but the bottom is dirty - looking.

Test Results on 5/28:
FC 3.5
CC 0
CYA 30
PH 7.6
TA 200
CH 220
Added 1 bag of pool shock to increase CYA

Test Results on 5/29
FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 40

Test Results Yesterday 5/31:
FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 38

Any other suggestions?

If it's sand it will feel very gritty (like sand! :) ). Otherwise it could be dirt or dead algae or pollen or something entirely different, in which case it would probably be more 'dusty' and hard to actually touch since it will poof away when you approach it. Which of those (gritty or poofy) better describes what you were/are seeing?

Thanks for the reply. Since the pool water is not what I call "mom temperature" yet (only around 70 degrees), I will have to wait and post the information on what it feels like when it gets a little warmer. It is just really frustrating - I spent about 45 min. vacuuming the entire pool and thought I had really made progress - the bottom looked great. Only to find out it was back later that evening - I guess I just stirred it around. :?

I gotta tell you I think it's likely dirt/pollen. I am seeing more in my pool this year than ever before - and I've got a CART!

Skimmer socks are stretchy things that cover your skimmer basket. I used my 11yo's old tights, cut off the legs. Worked so well over the weekend, I went out and bought a pair of ladies knee highs 10pack for $2 at WallyWorld. You would be amazed at the crud it catches...stuff so fine that the sand might not catch it. Give it a try, see if it helps. Also a little DE in the sand trick may help - read "how to" in Pool School. Check the socks daily - make sure the skimmer's not clogging up.

So, assuming this is pollen or dust....How do I get rid of it? Do you think the filter is filtering it out and then I'm just getting more each day? or is the filter not trapping it? Should I try adding the DE? or are there drawbacks to doing this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.