Acid pump supply tubing problems

lovemyazpool

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have a Steiner acid pump that (for the most part) works fantastic. I am using the line that came with the pump to tie into my pool plumbing. But I am having trouble with the tubing that they provided. Once I install it, it is only a matter of a week or so before the lines start to crack and split and dump acid all over my rocks as opposed to in the pool. I tired using softer line, but it would not seal in the quick connect couplings.

So I am wondering what I am doing wrong, or what I can do different to prevent the lines from cracking and splitting. Has anyone else had this problem before and if so, what did you do to fix it. I have replaced the line three times now. It is only the acid line where it connects (on both sides) of the backflow preventer.

Thanks

screen 2016-08-03 at 1.36.10 PM.jpg

Tubing is not normally placed over a barb fitting unless it specifically for that purpose. (barbs differ) I am assuming that's a check valve in your picture. the barbs on those are really meant for a softer material like hose. The black tubing in your picture looks like polyethylene which is fine for acid, but doesn't stretch over barbs very well. You could try heating the ends slightly with a heat gun and try putting them over the barbs, then use a simple wire tie as a clamp. Another option is to try some softer material like Polyurethane tubing, also good for acid.
Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone -

I went ahead and put a call into Stenner. I am using the tubing that they sent with the unit initially and I am using a 5:1 water/acid mix so the tubing seems to be the correct stuff. After sending them pictures, they did not recognize the backflow device as one of theirs. I purchased all of this from Josh over at Salt Pool Guys so it is possible that he sent it to me.

In any case, like @vertcnc stated Stenner said that the tubing is not intended to go over barbs and that was the reason it was splitting. They have their own backflow device that slips on the tubing instead of over a barb.

When I asked him the cost, he said he would ship me one with 20' or new tubing for free! I guess you can't beat customer service like that!!

Thanks as always for the great input, this forum is great!

screen 2016-08-04 at 12.04.56 PM.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.