Sand in pool from filter

smerel

Aug 3, 2016
Montreal
Hi, I know it is a reccuring question, but I did not found my answer in any previous person having this problem.

I had sand in my pool and changed it because it was old (10 years) and started looking pretty brown and small. I tought it was the size that made it go throug the laterals. I inspected the lateral and found the bottom cracked, so I bought a new one and replaced the sand with new one made for pool filter.
My water is much more clear now, but I still have sand coming back to the pool right under the jet. Obviously, its the new sand. When I replaced the standpipe/lateral/sand I was very carefull so im pretty sure it's not broken. the sand goes just under 3/4 of the filter.

Now I have theories but I need advice from you guys as you are experts and its my first year I own a pool.

First theory : psi is around 15, it was around 10 before changing sand. maybe the pressure is too strong?
Second : the sand is too small for the laterals and pass through, it is quite big grain actually, so I doubt it's that.
Third : Im not sure the standpipe and the head gasket is well aligned with each others, I don't know how to check or how to be sure it "fits" when you replate the head gasket to the filter.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, interesting posts. I do understand the multiport position and did a long backwash/rinse after changing the sand. There was no ´dust' coming back to the pool when i put it back to ´filter'. It took a couple days before i noticed big sand grain in the pool. It slowly accumulates so it is not residue from pooring the new sand into the filter (the standpipe was blocked by a cloth). Something else i noticed was that i cleaned the pool on rinse to put back the sand into the filter and some small leaves particules i sucked came back from the jet but only a very small portion. Thoses particules would have been filtered so it somewhat bypassed the standpipe and the laterals. I wonder if it is the same problem that causes the sand leak?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.