Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric Smokers

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric Smokers

Can anyone recommend an electric smoker and where to buy it? I'm a charcoal guy but I've found it very difficult to keep a low constant heat for hours on end. I will use woods chips liberally with the electric (I promise!)

Any help/recommendations are appreciated, Thanks.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    It isn't electric, but we are looking at the big green egg, I understand that it works well as a smoker too and used charcoal.

www.biggreenegg.com
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a Brinkmann bullet type that worked very well but discovered the Weber Smoky Mountain charcoal smoker. It holds temps for 12 hours and more with minimal fuss.

The Brinkmann sells for around $65. Am also considering the Masterbuilt electric for days that I'm too lazy to mess with fuel http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 6eb75fbdcb

Sams has them too.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

4. Back To Top    #4

I recommend Cookshack smokers. Very well insulated and a breeze to use.
    34'X 15' 3'-8' depth 22,000 gallon in-ground Grecian style built July of 2004, Blue Tahoe PebbleSheen, Poolpilot DIG-220 w/SC-60 SWCG, Pentair WFE-4 1HP filter pump, 6' S/S Waterfall and WFEDS-6 2 spd Waterfall pump, Letro Legend Platinum cleaner w/LA01N pump, Sta-Rite DE filter S8D110 53 sq. ft., 648 sq ft. East facing Solar panels w/Pentair LX 220 solar control, 6' Pewter Gray SR Smith Glas-Hide dive board on black powder coated cantilever stand w/SS hardware

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks for the recommendation. They look like they are well built and easy to use like you said. Which one do you have?
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

6. Back To Top    #6

Build one!!! Cheaper and better...

I started out with a $50 electric smoker and now have the Cadillac of all smokers/grills/cookers...

But the meat doesn't care what kind of cooker is creating the heat + smoke. Just that the heat is consistent and smoke is from a good hard wood. Some of my best meals came out of the $50 electric smoker.

That said... If I were starting out all over again... I would build a poor-man's ceramic (original idea from Alton Brown)

http://www.ntscblog.com/2005/07/little- ... ndo-q.html

http://twothirds.org/2005/09/26/smoking ... ton-brown/

http://homepage.mac.com/dubmann/PhotoAlbum1.html

I think you could actually stay under $50 and end up with a better cooker.
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    Thanks for the recommendation. They look like they are well built and easy to use like you said. Which one do you have?
    I have the smokette 009 model. It is the smallest of the bunch but big enough for me.
    34'X 15' 3'-8' depth 22,000 gallon in-ground Grecian style built July of 2004, Blue Tahoe PebbleSheen, Poolpilot DIG-220 w/SC-60 SWCG, Pentair WFE-4 1HP filter pump, 6' S/S Waterfall and WFEDS-6 2 spd Waterfall pump, Letro Legend Platinum cleaner w/LA01N pump, Sta-Rite DE filter S8D110 53 sq. ft., 648 sq ft. East facing Solar panels w/Pentair LX 220 solar control, 6' Pewter Gray SR Smith Glas-Hide dive board on black powder coated cantilever stand w/SS hardware

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmane) electric, but control it with a BBQ Guru DigiQ with the power raptor.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqDigiQ.cfm
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

9. Back To Top    #9
    I live in Houston and just bought my second one of these. The first on lasted 25 years. They are very easy to use and cook anything.

Web Page Name
    Houston, Texas
    10000 gallon pebbletec
    Salt Water Generator
    Spillover spa.
    XM8 cleaner.