Muriatic acid scares me

Yes, it is strong stuff but stuff that you can use safely with a few common sense guidelines. You can wear goggles and gloves. Don't mix it with water ahead of putting it in the pool. Some around here will just hold the entire gallon in the water near a return (with pump on!) and tilt it so it pours an estimated amount. Always brush the pool where you put it in so to mix it well in the water. Always stay upwind from it and avoid walking with a open container in case of trips/falls.

It's a chemical that demands respect, there's no doubt about it. But it's purpose and usefulness in pool chemistry can't be argued. It's perfect for lowering pH (and TA), and comes-in handy for other uses at times (i.e. cleaning scale). As with any volatile product, safety and respect for the item being handled are paramount. Not that we do it 100% of the time, but we should always remember to protect the eyes, skin, and watch the wind direction when we are around the fumes. Those safety items are critical. I've messed with the dry acid back in the day, and it was just too much of a pain for me to mess with. Also keep in mind there are lower strength muriatic acids out there. So even though you might pay a little more in the long-run by using twice as much, those lower strength MAs aren't quite so potent.

I carry the Muriatic Acid out to pool in its closed container. Then put on my mask and gloves. After that, I use a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and scoop up about a gallon or so of the pool water. Then standing upwind of the MA, I carefully pour required amount in to measuring cup and VERY slowly add that to the water in the bucket. I stand to the side of the return and slowly add the mixture to the pool, taking time for it to mix. I haven't been brushing after, but probably should. When I am finished, still with mask and gloves, I rinse bucket and measuring cup in return flow of pool.

Last edited:
1)Store in an open location away from the chlorine.
2) pour by holding right over the water and slowly pouring in a small amount right in front of a running return. I just estimate from the jug.

Many HD sell in two strengths 14.5% and 29% In my HD (Rancho Cordova, CA) they are together in the back of the garden section. I buy the strong stuff, you can get the weaker stuff Pool Math will do the noodle work.

I just pour it in right in front of a jet. No big deal. If you spill it rinse quickly, don't breath the fumes and whatever you don't pour any on the grass, it kills it very quickly...not that I would know. Acids don't really need to be stirred into the water to work, they work by adding or removing ions, which happens at the speed of electricity.

I'm careful with it, but it doesn't scare me.

I bought some DE to help my sand filter however, and that stuff wigs me out. It's sold in a loose bag inside a loose box, that basically says don't touch it or breathe it. Apparently it's banned by some municipalities...?

I don't even like walking too close to that box.

I just pour it in right in front of a jet. No big deal. If you spill it rinse quickly, don't breath the fumes and whatever you don't pour any on the grass, it kills it very quickly...not that I would know. Acids don't really need to be stirred into the water to work, they work by adding or removing ions, which happens at the speed of electricity.

Good to know :) I may just brush anyways to make sure nothing silly happens :)

Also do not combine in any manner with bleach. Even suggest you store away from each other. I forgot to rinse glass measure cup used for bleach and almost used to dose with MA. Fortunately, I sniffed the cup and rinsed thoroughly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use this for both Bleach & MA dosing. I follow the "upwind" advice from other members here. I always add doses in the deep end of the pool in front of one of the Return Jets.

Then I rinse the measuring cup in the shallow end.

aaa.JPG

I was told to add the acid to water in a 5 gal bucket. I put about a gallon or more water in the bucket, pour acid into a plastic measuring cup and then slowly pour into the bucket with water. I then pour the bucket nto the deep end slowly in front of a return. when the pump is going. There are a number of safe methods.

Am I only the one who pours from the bottle and just feels it out for how much they are adding?

Close+enough+_156c262008133a0.gif

Acid is heavier than water. Even if you pour it over the return jet, some will find it's way to the bottom before it is all thoroughly mixed in your pool water. Therefore, it is important to get the acid mixed and diluted as much as possible before it can sit on the pool bottom for any extended period of time. This is particularly important if you have a vinyl liner, since they don't take kindly to drastic changes in lowering levels of ph. Use the pool brush to help mix it in, and brush the sides as well as the bottom.

I pour only full bottles of bleach at a time, what's a couple extra ppm between friends? And I estimate about a quart at a time of muriatic acid straight from the bottle in front of a return. Downwind. Bottle floating so the opening is close to the water surface.

I put on goggles, thick rubber gloves, and a mask, and then carry the closed bottle of the liquid to the pool (not putting the bottle down on the patio). I use a 2 quart measuring cup that I wrote "Acid Only" in big letters all over it in marker. I stay upwind and pour the amount I need and then put the measuring cup close to the water as I pour it in. One time I got a whiff of the fumes and I started choking immediately. Probably not the best thing to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.