I'll post this here because I think it is the cause.... Wasps dead in my pool?

May 3, 2015
Katy, Texas
I recently used Skillit Algaecide on my pool. It is the formula with multiple di-ethyl......'s? It is known to kill water bugs. My pool was terrible. And I had 4 DE grids torn along with a cracked manifold. So while trying to clean I was just recirculating dead algae after SLAMing. Anyway, I gave up and cheated the BBB/TFP process (sorry) and used Skillet.

The algae was killed with prejudice as was the bugs/boatsman. My pool DID get foamy. Now the foam is dissipating and the pool is pristine. BUT, I am noticing daily that there is a parade of horrendous insects dead in my pool. Red Wasps, Dirt Dobbers, Honey Bees, HORNETS, and YELLOW JACKETS!! If I see hornets I run the other way.

My assumption is that the Biodex foaming means the surface tension is disturbed and drowning the wasps? Also, I assume this is why the waterbugs are screwed as well?

Side question. The foam? When it is foaming is it safe to swim? I know better than to swim in a pool that you cannot see the bottom. I mean the hot tub is foamy and the spill over to the pool is generating foam like any water feature would. The gas trapped in the bubbles? Any harm with the bubbles if visibility is not compromised? pH is low but climbing 6.8-7.0 and the TFC is about 1-2ppm.

I appreciate any input. I lurk here quite a bit. And get a lot of good info.

In before "read pool school" I already have. I just cheat at times because my 1985 constructed Phoebe Cates, Ridgemont High era pool is MASSIVE!!!

Oh noooooooooo! Please don't kill the honey bees :*(

Their numbers have decreased enormously over the past few years and without them...well...we won't have much in the way of agriculture.

Is Skilit something you want to swim in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.