New to salt water pool

Hello there. I am Rene' (rymes with today) I live in Texas and have a 15,000 gallon, in ground, salt water pool. My builder built a great pool and hot tub but I can't get him back to teach me how to maintain it. It has a D.E. filter as well. My test kit is missing the handbook too. So guys, I need to learn when and how to test and treat my pool. I have owned a fresh water pool before and did well with it. I do not wish to keep running back to the pool store to have them test for me. They always add extra "things" I need.

Welcome to TFP, Rene (sorry, can't figure out the accent) We certainly can help you.

First off you need an accurate test kit. Pool Builders usually just supply the cheapest one....<sigh> The two we recommend are the TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006. The TF-100 is my favorite and provide more bang for the buck. Both can be gotten from TFTestkits.net or Amazon. Worth every penny, and will save you tons of $

Until you get your SWG all dialed in, please use just simple household bleach to sanitize your pool. You don't want to risk an algae outbreak while learning how to maintain it. Start reading some of our how-to articles: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

We need to know your:
FC
CC
pH
CH
TA
CYA....preferably from your own TF-approved Testkit but until then we'll accept a pool store to get started... we just don't trust their accuracy :(

Yippee :flower: (rhymes with Skippy :batman: )

Thanks so much Yippee, which rhymes with Skippy! I appreciate that you kept it simple for me. My name is pretty simple as well , the last e is a long a sound.
As far as the pool I tested last week with the incomplete kit the builder left me. I added muriatic acid and chlorine granules to the best of my "guess". I do not like being uncertain about the chemicals. The water looks crystal clear and the pool feels balanced. Chemistry was NEVER my strong suit. I know I will get this figured out. The salt system is so new to me it makes me a bit nervous. I know eventually I will figure it out. But I will take your advice. Thanks again