Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very new to pools.

1. Back To Top    #1

Very new to pools.

We just bought a house with an above ground. from the research i have done it is approx. a 9000 gallon pool. It has a waterway sand filter. I have connected all the hoses and have filled the pool half way between the min and max markers. When i turn the pump on I can see the water filtering into the pool, but at the back of the filter there is water pouring out what looks like a threaded drain pipe, located at the bottom back of the filter. Is this normal? does this drain require a cap? I am sorry but I have never done anything with a pool before. I tried searching the forums, but honestly have no idea what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
    AG, 9000 gal. waterway sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very new to pools.

Welcome to TFP
    Its a drain on the bottom and should have a cap. "Pool School" at the top of the page is worth reading. A good test kit Taylor K2006 is well worth the money.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of pool ownership. You'll have it under control in no time.

Yes, that's a drain and it needs a cap. If this is your filter you'll see the two parts you need are 18 and 19. Drain cap and o-ring. 602-5301 and 805-0224. Take a look around the filter area, especially in the pump basket, and anywhere the old owner kept chemicals or other pool stuff. Those don't usually disappear.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the help, and so quickly. yes that is my pump, i will look and see if the cap is laying around somewhere. thanks again.
    AG, 9000 gal. waterway sand filter.