hth 6 way test strips

Aug 3, 2016
Ephrata Pa
:D Hello everyone, I am trying to learn and understand the different color charts that are on the hth 6 way test strips box. I searched the web and found info on most of the ones listed i.e. Guideline values: (FC) Free chlorine: 0.5-1.5 ppm (mg/l) , pH figure is 7.2 – 7.6. (TA) Total Alkalinity 80 ppm and 120 ppm., & (CYA) Cyanuric acid:0-20 ppm (mg/l) however, the one on the top of the list which is TOTAL HARDNESS (TH) ppm. is a mystery. after searching the web I know it has something to do with the hardness of the water. but I can't find what the reading should be, i.e. 100 ppm or 200 pmm or ? can anyone help me. Thank you

Welcome to TFP.

For a small seasonal vinyl pool, there is no need to worry about CH (calcium hardness) unless the fill water was crazy high, which I don't think it is in your area.

e: Tim is right, as always. I saw HTH 6 way and read as:
IANBSuA.jpg

Completely glazed over "test strip".

Thank you tim5055
I took your advice and purchased hth 3 way test kit, at Walmart. the pH level showed 7.5 which was good, according to the directions, however, the Cl Br side remained clear, so my question is, does clear show no chlorine level in my pool?

From the link Tim posted above:

"Step 2

Using the chart in your owner's manual, determine how many gallons your pool is. You may also be able to find this information on the manufacturer's website or you can use the Pool Volume calculator in Poolmath.

Step 3

For this step you will need Cyanuric Acid (CYA) to help protect the chlorine from the sun. This too can be found commonly at the local MegaMart sold in 3lb or 4lb containers. Using the PoolMath calculator add enough CYA to raise your level to 40PPM. With this being a “fresh fill” your CYA level will be zero to start with, so there is no need to test at this point."

The HTH 6-way kit includes a test for CYA, but the 3-way kit does not.

Check out our Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Even for a seasonal pool, test strips are almost worthless. They read in too wide a range and are no where near specific enough for pool care. You should be able to pick yup a decent 2 way test kit (chlorine & pH) at WalMart for less than $10.

It's in the link to Pool School in this post. Do you not see the link? Click on the blue underlined words.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.