Hello from East Dallas

Jun 17, 2016
Dallas Texas
I've lived in dallas most of my entire life with no pool of my own. Now I've got a Intex Round Ulta frame 14x42. Set up went well. I have been reading TFPC and I love it. Pool was set up and running 6/27/16. Initially used just bleach to raise my FC to 3 until my taylor k2006 came in. What a difference it makes. And it all makes since to me. After getting my test kit I add cya in panty hose sock through the skimmer. Took it out at about 40. Added MA to lower PH a bit. I did preform my first Slam last week due to the water looking cloudy also I had not Slammed it at all. After the slam and letting my FC float down. My numbers are

FC 9 (slam to 16)
CC 0.5
PH 7.8
TA 110-120
CYA 35-40 (I'll test again tomorrow to get accurate reading)

I haven't noticed any algae but I'm not sure what it looks like either.?? During the Slam I did not do an accurate ONCL. Tested fc the morning after and it was 1-2 ppm lower than my target 16. I figured that was ok.

Any thoughts? Am I doing it right??
Will be getting my signature up soon. Doesn't let me on my device.

AG 14x42 round Intex ultra frame pool
Intel Krystal Clear cartridge filter pump 1000 GPH (came with pool)
Intel deluxe wall mount skimmer.
TAYLOR K2006
Intel deluxe vacuum kit

Hello Kate and welcome to TFP! :wave: Glad to hear you're happy with TFPC methods. We are too. :p As for the OCLT, you should not lose anymore than 1 ppm of FC. If you do, then the SLAM isn't over. You can see all of the details on the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. If you have any questions, please make sure to ask.

After the SLAM, if you find that you are losing too much FC each day to the sun (more than 4 ppm) you might consider increasing the CYA to 50. It's hot in our parts this time of year. :sun:

Great to have you with us.

Thank you! Yes I agree with raising CYA. I am losing about FC 3-4ppm a day. Starting a slam tonight plus will be out of town this weekend. Should I run the filter 24hrs while I'm away? Thank you for your responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During a SLAM we do run the filter 24/7. But if you have to leave this weekend, the SLAM would kind of go on-hold so I suppose the 24/7 rule won't really help much while you're away. You can just start back-up when you get back and continue the SLAM until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.