Hello all! New member here.

I have a feeling I might be seen here a lot soon :D Thanks to those who run and contribute to this site.

My story:

I'm about to close on my first home and first pool next week. I've been trying to get up to speed on home ownership and pool ownership. The pool was absolutely beautiful and helped convince me to buy the place. Now, I have to keep it that way. I've been reading up on pool school and starting to learn, but it's a lot to take in.

My first questions are should I get a pool service until I figure out what's what and if so, how do I find a good one? I take possession of the house next Thursday and don't want to have a green pool by the end of the weekend.

I'm sorry I don't know the gallons (estimated), the specific equipment (other than it has a cartridge filter according to home inspection report), and don't have test results. On another starter note, according to the home inspection report, the pressure gauge is not working. The home inspector said it is a cheap part and all I have to do is buy another for $15, unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being a member of this site.

1st step would be to get yourself one of the test kits we recommend here... TFTestkits.net
You can also get a GOOD gauge there for $12.
Once you take possession, and are moved (moving) in... take some pictures of your setup (equipment, etc.), and post it here. We might be able to help you figure out what you have.

Welcome aboard!:wave:

Hi :)

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The first thing you need to do is get a good test kit. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Then read this Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And post questions

Don't get a pool service..spend that money on a test kit and a commitment to learn. We have pool math linked above on the web page that can help you estimate gallons of your pool.

No shortage of help here.......and we won't sell you chemicals you don't need.

Welcome!

I'd put 1 gal of bleach into the pool at the first opportunity and remove any chemical dispenser it might have. Then I'd add 1/3 gal of bleach daily waiting for test kit arrival and reading on FC / CYA relation on this site. This would save you a lot of headache during first days of pool ownership. Please take pics of your equipment and keep your pump running for 4-6 hrs daily until you figure that part out (with help of this great forum if needed). I personally haven't seen so many pool experts in one place so you'll be able to get help on any problem you might run into. Once settled this is not so hard or time consuming, you'll enjoy your pool in no time.

Thanks, all. I closed on the house and have moved in. I have pics of the equipment below. It is a Hayward pump. The pressure gauge seems crusted over. I'm not sure how to replace. I ordered a test kit, but don't have it yet. The previous owners tell me they didn't test at all. All they did was add a 4-in-1 tablet every few days and "shock" with liquid chlorine once a week.

It's not letting me post a few pics because of file size.

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.