Dead bird in skimmer- slam?

Jul 13, 2015
PA
Was away yesterday for work, got home this evening and checked my chlorine per usual. Sitting at 6, happy times. Went to empty skimmer basket, and there is dead bird floating there. Removed said bird, but now I'm wondering if I should slam. And maybe change cartridges? I know birds can carry disease so that has me a little worried. Even with the 6ppm chlorine currently present. What would you guys and gals do?

Just raise FC 2-4 ppm and it will be fine.

+ 1

If the dead bird didn't cause FC to drop...no worries. I.....on the other hand found a dead rat stuck to the wier door (dead) with his/her droppings below where they/it got stuck. I went to shock level for that. I think rats carry more diseases than birds.

Maybe overkill.....no pun intended.

+ 1

If the dead bird didn't cause FC to drop...no worries. I.....on the other hand found a dead rat stuck to the wier door (dead) with his/her droppings below where they/it got stuck. I went to shock level for that. I think rats carry more diseases than birds.

Maybe overkill.....no pun intended.

IMO it's mostly psychological- even at normal FC levels pathogens survive for less than a minute in the properly maintained pool. Great thing about algae :) is it tolerates higher chlorine concentration than pathogens so if you don't see it then nothing else lives there.
According to some articles from this site fungus is surprisingly harder to kill than even algae. Luckily it needs a host to survive so if you don't have a kid with ring worm swimming in your pool you're fine from that side as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.