Leak around pressure gauge

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
When I replaced the pressure gauge with the new one it is now leaking. So, now I have air in my lines and air is spewing off slowly affecting my prime of my pump. I used the tape around the threads. I also noticed that it looked like the previous gauge was screwed in too much and the nut portion at the top of the thread has "dug into" the hole some. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the leak? I really don't want to have to buy the whole valve section and I have a pool party Saturday.

The gauge is located on the pressure side of your system and has no bearing on whether your pump primes. What is causing your prime issues is an air leak on the suction side of your system....somewhere between the pump and the skimmer.

It sounds like your pressure gauge is leaking, too, and that may be tough to fix....can you tell us if the damage to the threads is in the body receiving the gauge or do the threads on the gauge appear damaged?

The gauge is located on the pressure side of your system and has no bearing on whether your pump primes. What is causing your prime issues is an air leak on the suction side of your system....somewhere between the pump and the skimmer.

It sounds like your pressure gauge is leaking, too, and that may be tough to fix....can you tell us if the damage to the threads is in the body receiving the gauge or do the threads on the gauge appear damaged?

Upon further inspection the threads inside the receiving body are stripped

Is there a way to rig it up to work for a little while? Is it ok to let it run like it is?

It sounds like you're dealing with two totally separate problems. Obviously a stripped thread on your valve head, which you may be able to repair. But the air in your lines should not be coming from that. Like Duraleigh said, your gauge is on the pressure side. It makes no sense that it's leaking (under pressure) and sucking air at the same time. I have no advice for the air in your lines but as another post offered, you can get a thread adapter/bushing for your gauge. You'll have to drill and tap your valve head for the larger threads of the bushing, then use teflon tape to install it...not too much force. Then simply screw your gauge into the bushing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sounds like you're dealing with two totally separate problems. Obviously a stripped thread on your valve head, which you may be able to repair. But the air in your lines should not be coming from that. Like Duraleigh said, your gauge is on the pressure side. It makes no sense that it's leaking (under pressure) and sucking air at the same time. I have no advice for the air in your lines but as another post offered, you can get a thread adapter/bushing for your gauge. You'll have to drill and tap your valve head for the larger threads of the bushing, then use teflon tape to install it...not too much force. Then simply screw your gauge into the bushing.

It has to be something to do with this. It wasn't doing it just before I attempted to change gauges..hmm

Okay, I can only go with what you're currently experiencing. It sounds like if you fix the gauge issue that the air leak should go away. You can try the repair route I described before. Not knowing how much of a DIY person you are I would describe this a 6 on a scale of 1-10 for difficulty. A lot of things could go wrong doing the repair...mess up the valve head when drilling for the bushing, tap the hole crooked or too deep, etc. Then there is the cost of the tools needed, assuming you don't already have them. I would guess $15 minimum. The other option, easier but more expensive is to replace the valve. They're like $90 on amazon and if you're a prime member it can get to you by Friday. You'll have a brand new valve and can still have the party Saturday. :kim:

Air in the lines after the pump is not a problem on its own. It won't hurt anything as long as your pump stays primed and everything works OK.

But, as mentioned by others, it is strange. If the valve or gauge leaks then it should push water out when the pump is on. Unless it is creating some sort of venturi effect. Which is also strange. I assume your pressure gauge indictates a pressure reading above 0 psi when the pump is on. That is water pressure pushing against the gauge. I don't see how it could be sucking in air and give a pressure reading.

Air in the lines after the pump is not a problem on its own. It won't hurt anything as long as your pump stays primed and everything works OK.

But, as mentioned by others, it is strange. If the valve or gauge leaks then it should push water out when the pump is on. Unless it is creating some sort of venturi effect. Which is also strange. I assume your pressure gauge indictates a pressure reading above 0 psi when the pump is on. That is water pressure pushing against the gauge. I don't see how it could be sucking in air and give a pressure reading.

It is showing 10 psi at the moment. I checked the pump after it running all day and the air is gone. I forgot all about having to reprime the pump after I took the pressure gauge out. I opened the filter box before the pump and refilled it back up for good measure. I bet that is where my air came in. Evidentally, it just took a little while to get out of the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.