Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

Jimh64

Jun 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I got tired of trying to fix my Baquacil problems and drained my pool. I am filling it back up with water and want to start using Chlorine.

Since I have no Baquacil left in my pool ( there was only about 2" on the bottom) how do I begin Chlorine?

My pool is 24' round and 52" deep.

Thanks!

Follow the steps in the How To article in Pool School - you still have to go through the steps but since the water is fresher it will go quicker. You'll still have to replace your filter media, sand, cart whichever it is.

Welcome to TFP :wave: - converting... great choice!

You can put your pool info in your sig - go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Edit - I'm moving your topic to the Baq use/conversion forum....

I would still to follow the start-up/shock procedure.

Taking your pool up to shock level and getting it to hold chlorine is a good way to make sure your water (including your fill water) is free of nasties, and a great place to start taking care of your pool the right (TFP) way.

You still want to go through the steps of a baquacil conversion. They will move along very quickly, since the baquacil level will be extremely low. You need to go through the steps because there will still be baquacil in your plumbing and filter, and that needs to get cleared out.

Sorry, I do have one more question before I start this process. Since I drained my pool and re filled, how long does the shocking process take before I can stabilize everythign else?

We are leaving for vacation in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks again!

I am going to start adding Bleach tomorrow. I don't have the kit yet, so I will use the test strips in the begining. Will using the test strips be ok to get going?

Also, I have been reading the forumns and some of the people are using ALOT of Bleach. Since I drained my pool and am starting with city water, will I be using less Bleach to get up to 15?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The amount of bleach required to get the FC up to 15 is based on the size of your pool. That remains the same. What is different is that you will probably only need to do it twice, while everyone else is doing it dozens of times.

I am going to start adding Bleach tomorrow. I don't have the kit yet, so I will use the test strips in the begining. Will using the test strips be ok to get going? Strips are infamously bad. I personally wouldn't use them.

Also, I have been reading the forumns and some of the people are using ALOT of Bleach. Since I drained my pool and am starting with city water, will I be using less Bleach to get up to 15? Yes, perhaps quite a bit less. Remember, just getting to 15 is not good enough. You must hold it at 15 by constantly adding bleach until.....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You are gonna' use more bleach than you think so stock up.

According to the calculator, to get my 24' round up to 15 I will need about 4 gallons to start. Will the test strips work until I get the test kit?

The strips only go to 10 on the FC, but they also measure CYA.

You really are just guessing with the strips. YOu need to hit 15 and hold it there, and since you can't measure 15, then they don't help you.

The TF test kits usually ship right away, Taylor takes a bit longer, when did you order the kit?

I just ordered the TF Kit today, but it wasn't before 2pm, so it says he will ship it tomorrow. I live in ohio, I'm not sure where the kit comes from. The pool just filled up today which is why I want to start the conversion tomorrow.

The first day is easy. Wait till evening, raise the FC level by 15. Without a FAS-DPD chlorine test, I would do that again on the second evening, and then on the third day replace the filter media and start adding CYA.

ok, thanks, I will try that! I'm looking forward to starting the process and ridding myself of my Baquacil nightmare!

Hopefully the kit will come quick and I can get some accurate readings. Since I filled it with city water, my ph levels should be ok, but I will double check them before adding the bleach.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.