Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarifier

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarifier

I've finally turned the corner on a pool that was off the charts chemically. All of my readings are in range, algae is under control, but my water is still cloudy. Would it be wise at this point to add some clarifier? What does clarifier do if anything to other chemicals?
    20K gal.
    Hayward S-244T sand filter
    IG vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clarifier

It is very unusual to need to use clarifier, normally the filter will clear the water if you give it enough time. I only recommend clarifier if the filter appears to be working correctly, FC levels are behaving normally, and you have had mild cloudiness for several days without any visible change for better or worse. Normally it is better to save your money and let the filter do it's job.

Clarifier has no real effect on any of your chemical levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Clarifier is an option, but it is usually not needed excepting a few rare circumstances. Generally all that is needed are balanced numbers and filter time assuming that everything mechanical is working as designed.

Go ahead and post a full set of numbers just so we can be sure that no stone is left unturned.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Is your FC holding overnight?

Have you tried a little DE in the filter?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me at this time. I haven't tried DE in the filter. Think I will just give it some time. Thanks for the help.
    20K gal.
    Hayward S-244T sand filter
    IG vinyl