HEELLLPPPP!!!! Pool Filter/Pump Assembly problems

Jul 24, 2016
Chardon
I have had nothing but issues with the install of this pool. First it was many leaks, I got those handled. Now I am having issues with the filter/pump assembly setup. The pool still plagues me. So last night I ran the electric for the pump. I hooked all hoses up to the pump, filter/frog system, skimmer, and return according the instructions. it said to open the air relief valve on top of the filter, i did that. It said to turn the pump on low and allow the air to purge from the system and once it started spraying water out of the air relief to close it. I did that too. The problem is water is still coming out of the air relief, and there is water coming from the band clamp that holds the two filter halves together. The pressure gauge reads 0. I am just not having good luck with this pool. This pump/filter was bought new so this is the first time its been used. Do I need to replace gaskets/o-rings? I am at a loss. Its a new system and I am having nothing but issues. I cant help but feel that I am screwing things up and I am more than ready to just toss in the towel. The filter is a Backyard Auqa Design D.E. filter system which is a Waterway system.

Simple set up so should be easy to work through. Going to go item by item:

-frog system-please do some reading. It is not a good system :( It adds metal to your water that can cause staining of the liner and hair :shock:
Do a search up in the search box at the top of the page to help you understand the whys and whats.

-Valves-you really need two shut off valves. One right under the skimmer and one right at the return. It will make your pool life MUCH easier.

-under skimmer and return-think about digging down a little and putting rocks for drainage there. THEN put another set of pavers there. Your pool WILL overflow at one time or another. You do NOT want it to flush the dirt from under your pool after all of your hard work to level it and set it up. I angled my pavers just enough for the water to flow away from the pool.

-hard plumbing ONCE you get the equipment fixed up and holding water. We can help with that when you are ready.

-o-ring lube! I am VERY hopeful THAT will fix your water coming out of those areas. ONLY use pool lube as the other products will damage your rubber and you will be worse off than now.

-places to put lube-

1.o-ring on the air relief valve

2. o-ring that is between the two halves of the filter body,

3. o-ring in side the top of the filter basket lid

4. ? not sure if you will have this but there might be an o-right in the union from the pump to the filter.

OH and unions!! You will need unions to let you disconnect everything when you hard plumb it later.

So go shopping for the lube and see how that helps with the water going every where.

Please think about the frog stuff.

I use just plain chlorine/bleach and have a pool that looks like a jewel. Beware the tablets and powder chlorine products as they add stuff to the water like CYA (stabilizer) that will build up over time and cause major problems down the road.

:kim:

Kimkats,
I had already planned on getting rid of the frog system, due to a friend of ours that turned us onto this site. They use just bleach in their pool. I wanted to go to that. I was just going to use what came with it, but after you tell me this I think I may just get rid of it now and go down the right road to begin with. I will get some pool lube after work and start lubing the o-rings. As to #4 there wasn't an oring in the union from the pump to the filter, but it did have a 2" gasket. Should I just lube that up also?

Ok I'm gonna get after it right after work. I am gonna need direction as to how to go about my water with out the frog.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is where the valves under the skimmer and return will be helpful.........but until you get those you can put a tennis ball in the skimmer and a chiseled potato in the return UNLESS you can find a return plug. We want to stop the water from coming out of the pool all over the place. You might have better luck than I in getting the hoses to stay in the pool while I work on the equipment but then you will still have a water going every where when you try to hook them back up to the equipment.

okay after froggy............I can't really see how it connects to the filter but it looks like it is just a hard connector? Do you think you could just take the frog off and put the hose in place of the frog?

Another idea would be to take the frog guts for right now until you set it all up with hard plumbing.

- - - Updated - - -

You should be able to unscrew the pipe from filter to the frog. take the other fitting off the frog and screw it in the filter. then the hose to return eyeball fitting.

Well look at that! Best idea of all! THANKS! Of course that is after you figure out how to keep the water IN the pool LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The frog is a goner! I will be removing it tonight. I wish I would have done more research before. The pool salesguy was very convincing that we needed this thing. That it would keep less chemicals in our pool making it safer. Bunch of malarkey!

OH how to keep your water?? Well I have those answers also!

So do you have or have you ordered your test kit yet? Look in my siggy for the one I think it is the best buy as it has more of the regents we use on a daily bases.

AND here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners! It is a LOT of info so take it slow. It will all start to make sense when you get your test kit and start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

-under skimmer and return-think about digging down a little and putting rocks for drainage there. THEN put another set of pavers there. Your pool WILL overflow at one time or another. You do NOT want it to flush the dirt from under your pool after all of your hard work to level it and set it up. I angled my pavers just enough for the water to flow away from the pool.

Pavers, check. My real goal for overflow coming out the skimmer is going to come after I plumb a line for backflushing. I'm going to run a small hose from the wall of the skimmer to that line. It won't help when the kids are splashing, but when it rains for a week I won't have a problem.

... you can put a tennis ball in the skimmer...

Wow. That's the best thing I've read so far this week. Now I'm just embarrassed about how I block off the skimmer when I'm working on something.

ahhhhhhh but NOW is the time to have at least the pavers down. Those hoses pop off SO easy then you have a mess on your hands. Ask me how I know :rolleyes: Had a wash out due to the hose popping off the first night the pool was filled. I had to push the sand back in as best I could. NOT fun and tore my hands up from the abrasions from the sand. That area is bumpy and not as nice as the rest of the pool.

I like the potato trick myself.........."honey can you pic a large potato up for the pool on the way how?" :shock: LOL

I must admit after all the stuff this pool has put me through. Last night's fiasco had me convinced I was done with this thing. Just completely frustrated. Talking with ya'll I am feeling a little excited about being a pool owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.