SLAM in process

Jul 16, 2015
Santucky, CA
I've been on here about a year. I had troubles last year and pretty certain it was my pump. That stock one that came with my Costco kit.

Up until a few weeks ago, I had kept my pool nice, clear, and blue. I tested it every other day or so...I have 50/50 custody of my kids, so on a non-kid weekend, I went the weekend without checking it...turns out the Intex Auto Pool Cleaner....this one (Amazon.com : Intex Auto Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden) sucked up a water missle and must have tripped the circuit breaker... Green pool

I've been doing everything to fix it...and was in the SLAM process, but was not having any luck. So, today I'm starting from scratch and hoping for help.

Here was my pool two weeks ago.

Now:

Readings:
CYA: 55
TA: 90
FC: 1.5
CC: 1 = TC 2.5
PH: 7.8

I read that I need to have PH of 7.2 to 7.4, so put in 8oz Muriatic Acid. An hour later I had 7.2...or 7.3...really close. I retested the CYA and have closer to 50.

At an FC of 1.5 and CYA of 50, I see my SLAM goal of 20ppm.

Based on 4500 gallons, I added 121oz of 8% bleach (I'm getting my bleach at Costco)

I rounded down on the gallons, based on here Intex 18 Ultra Frame Swimming Pool - Walmart.com They say the capacity is 4545 gallons at 90% capacity.

Here is my level after cutting to put the Hayward skimmer in...so I'm guessing I lost 45 gallons easy.

Readings:
CYA: 55
FC: 1.5
CC: 1 = TC 2.5
PH: 7.8

I read that I need to have PH of 7.2 to 7.4, so put in 8oz Muriatic Acid. An hour later I had 7.2...or 7.3...really close. I retested the CYA and have closer to 50.

At an FC of 1.5 and CYA of 50, I see my SLAM goal of 20ppm.

Based on 4500 gallons, I added 121oz of 8% bleach (I'm getting my bleach at Costco) ...

Looks like you're on the right track. I see you live in CA- is water replacement an option for you? Would make things slightly faster.

If you can't replace the water I can only note you shouldn't be too concerned with precision of your calculations as many factors will prevent you to get better than 15% accuracy anyway. All you need is to be approximately 'there'. That's where test kit shines and you already got a good one. Don't be shy and use it to directly test your FC level during SLAM. SLAM is the process, can take you several days and you have to maintain SLAM level throughout those days. Don't bother with pH testing during those days as it won't be correct at SLAM FC levels. You also have to have pump/filter in good working order and running them 24/7 during this time.

Thanks! I just updated and asked a question on my other thread regarding sand. I'm using the Clorox Shop Clorox PoolSpa 25-lb Sand Pool Filter Aid at Lowes.com

Is 25lbs for 50lbs really true? Should I add more sand?

My Costco Bestway Pool in San Diego.

- - - Updated - - -

I just slammed it at 2030 PST. It's been 2 hours...before I go to bed, should I check and adjust? How soon between adding bleach should I check and adjust?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you're on the right track. I see you live in CA- is water replacement an option for you?

Yes, that's not a problem. No water restrictions currently. I would prefer not too, but if I can get this blue and swimmable by the weekend, that would be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Use 60 as your CYA for PoolMath.
After bringing my PH down, PoolMath said that adjusting PH changes CYA, so I rechecked and it was 50 at that time.

Last edited:
I just slammed it at 2030 PST. It's been 2 hours...before I go to bed, should I check and adjust? How soon between adding bleach should I check and adjust?

The point of SLAM is to Maintain FC at SLAM level throughout the process. If you overshoot FC it's OK as it leads only to unnecessary waste of chlorine but if it falls below you'd be risking to prolong the fight as algae would get another chance. So it's better to be slightly over than under. Test it every 4 hr if you can, especially at the beginning to get a feeling how fast your FC drops.

After bringing my PH down, PoolMath said that adjusting PH changes CYA, so I rechecked and it was 50 at that time.

Adjusting pH does NOT affect CYA. It will affect TA, though.

Did you recheck the CYA in full sun? It is important for your slam to have a good CYA reading so you know the correct shock level.

Adjusting pH does NOT affect CYA. It will affect TA, though.

Did you recheck the CYA in full sun? It is important for your slam to have a good CYA reading so you know the correct shock level.

No, I did not. It says to start the SLAM at night, so I started it last night. I can check it this evening.

Strange...this morning, it took 52 drops to turn the pink to clear. That would mean that the jug of bleach brought the CL up to 26ppm, rather than 20ppm.
Could I be closer to 4k gallons, rather than 4500?

I also brushed the floor and sides this morning.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back to the sun, etc, etc?

Double check your add. Either the bleach is stronger than 8 if it's fresh, or the pool volume might be off. Make sure to measure the depth of the water, not the sides of the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

By double-check your add, I mean that you should test again after a half hour or so to see how close your expected goal is to the actual effect.

So too much bleach? Wouldn't that be better? No?

I measured 3 ft deep. I sometimes go higher. The sides bow out. This site says it's only 3636 gallons? Pool Volume Calculator | SwimmingPool.com

- - - Updated - - -

By double-check your add, I mean that you should test again after a half hour or so to see how close your expected goal is to the actual effect.

Gotcha. I was wondering about that. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the sun, etc, etc?

Why back to the sun?

Too much beyond your "shock" level can fade your liner. A tad more is okay if you can't check FC for a while. It is also kind of wasting chlorine as the sun will burn off most of the excess and the FC above shock level won't kill algae any faster.

Poolmath (the button at the top of the page) has a volume calculator and it says 3600.

This will explain the CYA test better than I can:
Pool School - CYA

Too much beyond your "shock" level can fade your liner. A tad more is okay if you can't check FC for a while. It is also kind of wasting chlorine as the sun will burn off most of the excess and the FC above shock level won't kill algae any faster.

Poolmath (the button at the top of the page) has a volume calculator and it says 3600.

This will explain the CYA test better than I can:
Pool School - CYA

I take the water to my patio...no sun. So, I'm over bleaching.... It was only by 10oz, though. Not bad. I get my CL from Costco....3 pack. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I do run it a bit deeper most times. Before the kids get in, I fill it to just below the top of my skimmer opening. I know I lost volume when I put the skimmer in, but they are little. I'll upgrade in a few years to a bigger pool probably.

- - - Updated - - -

So if I run it 6" deeper, I'll calculate at 3.5ft. and 4000 gallons. At the screw mark...where I maintain it, I'll calculate it at 3600 gallons.

I've looked at PoolMath dozens of times...never scrolled down that far. :cheers:

So...weird thing.
I think part of my problem was the sand filter...since it said "25lbs = 50lbs" It calls for 77 lbs...so I had an estimated 38lbs. I decided to put in the rest of the sand....thinking that it will filter like 100lbs, right? When I opened it, the tree thing wasn't fully buried in the sand....like it lifted up or something.

Anyway...it's now filled to the MAX level...backwashed and rinsed...and still got brown in the pool...I'm guessing from the residual of cleaning it out? Will this jack up the readings?

Will check the FC before bed and again in the morning.

I did. Dumped it all into a bucket, reseated the spider, and filled it up to the MAX level with sand.

Tested it this morning and it was at 23ppm. It's still quite green. Visibility is about a foot deep.

After work when I test it, I will add bleach as though it's 3600 gallons.

It's looking better. I can see the pushbroom on the bottom when I sweep it. The sun was going down...these are the best pics I got.

It was at 9ppm today, so I added 61oz bleach, as per PoolMath at 3600 gallons.

I'll check again in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.