Needtoknowmore

Aug 1, 2016
Bryant
I've had my pool for just under 2 months and I can't get my numbers right. I have a small (14' Polygroup above the ground pool) and I have yet to get my FC within normal range. Consequently I've dealt with greenish colored cloudy pool water. The area where I live at times has wind blowing anywhere from 0 to 13 mph, no trees to block any wind and the debris that comes with it. Add to that wind we've had an unusual amount of rainfall for this time of the year. We recently used the Arm & Hammer brand of pool care powder which did clear up the water and got all of my numbers within normal limits (WNL) except the chlorine. Also the water is clear enough for me to see dirt or dead algae at the bottom. I need to know how to get my chlorine level WNL and and how to get that gunk from the bottom of my pool. (By the way I'm using chlorine tablets - up to 6 1' tablets every 2-4 days). Help me PLEASE!

Welcome friend, I would first post what your full set of levels are now and let everyone know what test kit your using as it will help us all in recommendations as what to do also post us some pictures so we know what we're looking at and track progress, I promise with the professional knowledge here we all will help u get u where u need to be, now as far as the gunk on the bottom you could always vacuum it to waste versus through the filter so u won't clog it up but after u will need to replace the water volume u vacuumed out... and most importantly ask questions no matter how little u feel they are. myself and mostly everyone else has been where u are.... some of us several times[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response to my post. I don't know how to upload pictures from my phone. My current readings are: FC - 0/0, pH - 7.8, TA - 180, TH - 200, CYU - 100. I'm using the hth 6 way test strips. I wish I had known about this site when we set up our pool :-(. I tried searching using U Tube and that confused me more than helped me. I know that it would have saved me from the nightmare I'm in right now. I have 3 grandchildren who have missed getting in their pool for at least a week. Also, I haven't used any tablets since I found out that using liquid bleach would have helped tremendously!! However, I was already in a pretty bad mess by then.

Your situation is fairly common. A high CYA (stabilizer) level and extremely low FC (Free Chlorine) level allows algae to form. What I can't tell from your description is the pool volume (gallons). Can you confirm that for us please and also consider updating/ EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE.

If your pool is under 3,000 gallons, you can simply follow the Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. It's designed for such pools and makes things much easier on you. If your pool is larger though, then you'll need the proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) as seen on the TFTestkits.net site. With either of those kits, you can perform a TFP "SLAM" to clear your water and keep it clear.

So let us know what pool you have and any questions you have as well. We'll be happy to help.

I thought I understood the instructions given on how to post but evidently I don't. I just finished two posts, one that I did directly after your last post to edit a post abd one. When I scrolled to see the edited version of my last post the correcting information was not on that 'edited' post. I then scrolled down the post that did make it to the screen to see if the edited portion of my post was in a post by itself, I somehow 'saved' a blank post. Also, I don't understand why a yellow tinted area in the right lower portion of the current post that says 'Auto Saved' that I didn't strike a key to save just pops up! Exactly what do I do to get my answers to your text back to you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.