Seeing big swings in TA and CH - New to this

Jul 21, 2016
ronkonkoma/NY
Ive been an uneducated pool owner for 7 years relying on the pool store for testing and chems. This all started when I was battling Mustard Algae/ Pollen (Still havent figured out which it was) either way I found this website and it set me on a new path with my pool. No more letting the pool store tell me what I need (since they have no clue what they are talking about half the time)

I SLAMMED the pool from 2 PPM to 29 PPM with 3 Gallons of liquid chlorine one night. I had to test kit at the time but had one on order. So the next day I took a sample with me to the pool store. I was at 4/5 PPM chlorine. I still dont know if this was possible but had it checked twice. Perhaps that means there was something in there that the used all that chlorine that quickly? I also had .4 cc at this time. Now finally I am down to .1 cc and the I pass the overnight test.

Now I am having an issue balancing. I had tested and seen my PH down to 7.0 so I added Calcium Carbonate per my new Taylor instructions. ( I hadnt read about the aeration technique yet but wish I had) Got the PH up to 7.7 as tested on 7.29 (next day after adding carbonate) here are the results

FC= 2ppm
cc = .1
CYA = 40
TA = 100
CH = 180
PH = 7.7

THought I was good so just monitored chlorine for the next few days raising it to 5ppm each day. Then I tested 4 days later and had this

FC= 3ppm
TA = 170
CH = 330 (tested twice)
PH = 7.7

So, can the the TA still be rising a week after I added the Carbonate? SHould I be concerned with the rising TA seeing as the PH seems stable and should I try to reduce it using acid or just keep testing to see if TA drops? And what would make the CH just spike like that?

Also, I just read somewhere that liquid chlorine will raise your TA because of the lye in it. Is this true? I was under the impression that liquid was best because its only chlorine and wont increase CYA but I never read on here that it would increase the TA.

Welcome to TFP!

FC
Your FC is dropping too low for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Always keep FC above minimum to keep the pool sanitized and alhpgae free.

TA
Was fine at 100 and lower would be better, most folks find their PH is more stable when TA is 60-80. Adding acid to lower PH will also slowly lower TA over time. Or you can follow this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

PH
It is important to always maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Calcium carbonate raises CH, not lower PH

Muriatic acid lowers PH

No, bleach/liquid chlorine doesn't raise TA, baking soda raises TA.

Here is a handy sheet on chemicals, what they do and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Do some reading in Pool School
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Welcome to TFP!

FC
Your FC is dropping too low for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Always keep FC above minimum to keep the pool sanitized and alhpgae free.

TA
Was fine at 100 and lower would be better, most folks find their PH is more stable when TA is 60-80. Adding acid to lower PH will also slowly lower TA over time. Or you can follow this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

PH
It is important to always maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Calcium carbonate raises CH, not lower PH

Muriatic acid lowers PH

No, bleach/liquid chlorine doesn't raise TA, baking soda raises TA.

Here is a handy sheet on chemicals, what they do and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Do some reading in Pool School
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Thanks for the response. I did read Pool school. In fact ive read every sticky here several times. I know I need to add more chlorine essentially more than needed so it never drops below recommended however ive been testing to see how much increases by how many ppm as the Pool Calculator was close but not exact.

To clarify I meant I added Sodium Carbonate NOT Calcium Carbonate to increase the PH. So my question is should I bother to Lower my TA if my PH is stable at 7.7?

OK thanks ill keep an eye on the PH for a few days if it starts going up ill throw acid in there and aerate.

Any idea why the CH almost doubled in 4 days when all i added is Soda Ash and Chlorine?

No, it doesn't make sense to me- there was no Calcium in the chems you added. Could it be you made a mistake in your testing? CH doesn't jumps on its own, you need source of Calcium for that to happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.