Newby needs advice on whether to replace or repair

May 31, 2009
Louisa, VA
First, the bad news... I've got a WaterCo T500 sand filter that came with my 18x34x4 ft. pool (16,200 gallons) which I bought two years ago but haven't really maintained until now (long story). The multi-port value on this filter has always been balky, but about 15 minutes ago the handle broke off in my hand.

It seems that I have three options:

1) Replace the whole multiport valve--total cost would probably be about $80.

2) It looks like I might be able to order parts and repair the value. I'm guessing cost would be around $30-40, however am concerned that it might turn into a nightmare of having to order more parts, backorders, etc.

3) Replace the whole filter.

Now, I'm starting to realize that this filter has *always* been a piece of junk, it's never filtered very well, and I've never exactly been thrilled with it. My sense just from what I've seen in videos and pictures and stuff is that I'd be much happier with a Hayward. OTOH, that's going to be at least $500 from what I can tell from here.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Any possibility I could replace the MPV with a non-waterco part? I notice that Leslie's website has some MPV's listed separately, but it's not real apparent whether they would fit my filter.

2) If I do decide to go with a new one, can I save money by reusing my existing (2hp) pump?

3) I've been thinking about trying to plumb this filter up using PVC instead of these obnoxious hoses. Since I'm going to have to change everything out now anyway, is it a good idea to replace the corrugated hoses with PVC?

4) Anybody care to offer me the advice for which I don't know to ask?

Thanks,

Patrick

(p.s. sorry for the cross-post to the "opening and closing" forum, but it occurred to me that I really needed to ask this question here.)

I don't know about the MPV but you can use any brand filter, with a 2hp pump you should make sure you get the right size filter, the bigger the better. for instance i would say something like a pentair TA 90 or even the next size up, TA 120. The number is the GPM flow rate
Happy Swims
Frank

Hello Patrick
I'm starting to realize that this filter has *always* been a piece of junk, it's never filtered very well
That pump was to big for that filter, and the one they are recommending is to small as well, you need at least a 300 lb filter, actually 500 lb would be better

That pump was too big for your needs from day one, but with a bigger filter it should be fine.
How many returns do you have.?

for the the moment if the filter is on filter, keep the bleach up and let it run as usual until you get a new filter,

frankthailand said:
Hello Patrick
I'm starting to realize that this filter has *always* been a piece of junk, it's never filtered very well
That pump was to big for that filter, and the one they are recommending is to small as well, you need at least a 300 lb filter, actually 500 lb would be better

That pump was too big for your needs from day one, but with a bigger filter it should be fine.
How many returns do you have.?

for the the moment if the filter is on filter, keep the bleach up and let it run as usual until you get a new filter,

I'm sort of doubting whether this is "really" a 2hp pump, actually. The reason is that from a few posts around the net it appears that 2hp pumps normally require at least 20amp 110v power, if not 240v power. However, this thing runs fine on 110v @ 15amp current. This was a fairly cheap pool kit, and I'm thinking that the pump is probably only nominally a 2hp pump, and probably actually not a full 2hp.

The pool only has one return, and one skimmer basket which is actually kind of small (it starts out as the large rectangular size, but then narrows to roughly 5 3/4" by 4".) I'm seriously wondering whether the skimmer is too small for a pool of this size as well.

Unfortunately, the multi-port valve is stuck in an indeterminate state... between two notches, so I'm a bit scared to run it.

I guess I'll see what they've got in the way of a 300 lb. filter. I'd rather spend another $100 now and get what I need than be undersized, I definitely know that.

Welcome to TFP!!

I haven't heard of Louisa, Va in 15 years (I used to live and do pools in Richmond) :)

A 2 HP pump on an AG pool is ludicrous :hammer: !! Frank has been giving you great advice on upsizing the entire filter (Hi Frank :wave: - good to see you here :!: ) Down sizing the pump would also be good for both the pool and your electric bill :wink: However, I don't want you to bankrupt yourself replacing the crappy filter system that came with the pool - do what you can afford to size the filter to the pump (and, optimally) the pump to the pool 8)

I wish you well with the upgrade(s) !

I am going to get in trouble here if I keep on saying this, but here goes anyway. Look at Craigslist.com for your area. I have been seeing alot of pools, pumps and other pool related items on the Mpls area. Some great deals.
Good luck
Mike

Hello Jason :)

Hello patrick
Ah the joys of owning a pool, until we get a problem :x

Anyway your skimmer sounds fine, it's got the wide mouth so no probs there. [ skimmer action has a lot to do with surface tension]

Can you grab the mpv with some vice grips, try to lift and turn it, at least then you can run your pump until you get all sorted. If not you can always add the bleach and mix the water with your brush, might help to keep the algae at bay.

best of luck
Happy Swims
Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.