pool suction

Aug 1, 2016
chandler az
hi, hoping someone can help me. I just recently changed my DE filter to a cartridge filer. I'm getting very little suction when I connect my Zodiac cleaner. the filter reads 10 psi. When I connect my line to the skimmer the filter reads 0, but I get a lot of suction and able to clean the bottom of the pool. What is my problem?

thank you

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Too confusing. You've got some variables there I can't quite understand.

Pump running, is there only water in the pump strainer basket or air bubbles, too. How about pump running and zodiac hooked up....just water or water and air bubbles in the pump strainer basket?

thank you.

the pump is running and there is water in the pump strainer, no bubbles. The pump is running when I have the zodiac hooked up, but it doesn't move and get very little suction. The reading at the filter is 10 psi, and getting a lot of suction of the skimmer. I then try to connect the zodiac to the skimmer and then get a reading of 0 psi but a lot of suction. I just replaced the diagram on the zodiac and it still wont move.

does this help? thanks in advance

Re: poor suction at vacum

What's the difference between connecting your Zodiac cleaner and connecting your 'line'? What do you mean by line? Do you mean just the hose itself without the cleaner attached to it? If so, that suggests the Zodiac is the issue.

I'm getting very little suction when I connect my Zodiac cleaner. the filter reads 10 psi. When I connect my line to the skimmer the filter reads 0, but I get a lot of suction and able to clean the bottom of the pool. What is my problem?

that's what your original post said. I'm a bit confused as to the problem you're trying to solve. Are you trying to solve the problem of when you connect the zodiac to the pool you have no suction but if you connect the line by itself you have suction? are you trying to solve the problem of when you connect the zodiac to the pool pressure drops to 0 but you still have suction?

When the zodiac is attached are you vacuuming to waste or is the water returning to the pool?

what I'm trying to say is that I get little suction on the vacuum inlet (outlet?) where I would normally connect a vacuum. When I connect the vacuum to the skimmer inlet (outlet?) I get great suction but the filter psi goes from 10 psi to 1 psi. Is that normal?

Are you vacuuming to waste? when I vac to waste, my pressure gauge reads 0. My pool doesn't have a separate inlet for a pool vacuum. Yours does. Do you have to put the filter in a vacuum mode to use it, or is there a valve on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.