question about pucks and liquid chlorine

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
Can I use them both at the same time? I use plain bleach most of the time. But if I'm gone all day or longer I want a way to make sure my chlorine dosen't get too low. So on the days I wont be there to ad liquid chlorine, is it ok to put a puck in the skimmer basket? My cya is about 40. about how long doing this would it take to raise cya too high? Thankyou. Filix.:confused:

As long as you know how much CYA you are adding it's fine. There is a section at the bottom of Pool Math, "Effect of Adding Chemicals". You should be able to go longer than a day without testing and adding if you know your pool's appetite though.

NEVER (!!!!) put pucks in a skimmer basket! They are very acidic and can cause damage. Either use a puck floater or put them in a sock and hang them in front of a return.

You can check at the bottom of the PoolMath page for the amount of CYA added by each puck. A lot of people will use them for extended time away, like a vacation. But getting into the habit of doing it daily will get your CYA out of hand pretty quickly. Just raise your target for you chlorine additions daily. With CYA of 40, you should be targeting FC of 5 with a minimum of 3. So shoot for 6 or 7 if you think you will drop below 3. Then you have the room to add pucks if you go on vacation and not worry about your CYA getting out of hand.

You can use them just have to be aware of how long till the CYA gets out of hand. There is a drop down at the bottom of pool math that will tell you how much FC and CYA you will get out of a given amount of any chemical tablets included just put your pool volume and the weight of the tab in and it will do the math. Being at 40ppm CYA I would not use them often perhaps vacations only.

The guy that came to help me install a new skimmer line and new sand filter " he used to work for pool store, now does it as a side line" told me to put the puck in the skimmer basket. I didn't know it could cause problems. I have a floater for pucks but they seem to take for ever to desolve. I like the idea of hanging them in front of return. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish a knew a way to slowly release liquid chlorine.

The pucks are designed to dissolve slowly so that they dispense chlorine over the course of a week. They are intended to keep a little chlorine in the pool between weekly "shocks". If you test you pool daily and keep the chlorine at the top of the recommended range, you won't need to add pucks unless you want to use them when you are out of town.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.