protecting pump from leaves while away

e2015

Aug 10, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Going on vacation this Fall for 10 days. Not worried about chlorine since the SWCG produces enough with the pump running for 6 hours daily.

We have (too many) trees near our pool, and the leaves were a significant issue last Fall. At the height of the problem, I had to clear out the skimmer baskets 1-2 times/day. We were away for a week last year, and the baskets were clogged to the point that the pump was sucking air.

We have two drains at the bottom of the pool (one main drain and one for the water feature pump). I am considering turning off the skimmer drain lines and pumping exclusively from the main drain while we are away. Interested to hear from those with more experience if that is a good idea.

1. I imagine that we will come back to a pool entirely covered with leaves. Will it be a problem to have that much organic material floating around the pool for that long? Should we consider aiming for a higher FC level?
  2. Is there a danger of having leaves sucked down and clogging the main drain (8 feet deep)?
  3. Would you recommend running both pumps (main drain and water feature) to keep water circulating?
Thanks.

Or even a solar cover would help a lot.

Also you can put a milk crate over the main drain to keep leaves out. I've seen some people hang a milk crate over their skimmer for the same reason.

Do you have a safety cover? You can put it on and leave the pool running under it.

I don't know how much "more" experience I have, but I'd think about covering the pool and running the pump less.

We have a safety cover, but it is a non-trivial project to install and remove it (large surface area, irregular pool shape, raised spa/wall). Was hoping to avoid by shutting off the skimmers.

Or even a solar cover would help a lot.

Also you can put a milk crate over the main drain to keep leaves out. I've seen some people hang a milk crate over their skimmer for the same reason.

Interesting idea. I imagine that a milk crate could also get clogged, but it would have a larger surface area than the drain cover.

Thanks!

Plugging in a vacuum hose and either weighing down the other end or securing it (to a ladder, stair rail, etc) underwater should do fine to allow circulation without skimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.